Call of Duty 4 server issues

gijs007

We've recently had some support tickets from customers who have issues with their Call of Duty 4 servers.

The problem with the servers is that they time out. We've already tried all troubleshooting steps (e.g. disable firewall, check config, check files)

We haven't made any changes to our standard configuration, yet suddenly this issue started happening.

To prove it's not a networking issue:

1. The servers are showing in gametracker as up and running. (can query)

2. Replacing the server iw3mp.exe with a "cracked' executable makes the player able to join the server perfectly fine.

We've noticed that some older servers work fine (they are hosted on the same node). But once restarted they stop working.

I'm not sure what is causing this issue, I think something might be wrong on Activision's end.

One of my clients reported he had the same problem with Fragnet and NFO a few days ago, so it appears I'm not alone in this problem.

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

We've also had similar problems where servers wouldn't appear in the server list for a while. This would resolve it self automatically after keeping the server shutdown for a while (few hours or days) and then starting it up again.

I'm thinking there might be a port conflict, but couldn't fine any.

We obviously use unique ports for each IP with the command line argument: +set net_ip $[service.IpAddress] +set net_port $[service.GamePort]

I think the communication with the master server/cd key validation server is not using a unique port.

• 2 weeks later...

We are having this problem as well. Tried absolutly everything to fix it including redoing the files and config from scratch.

Went off for a day to do some research, came back and it was working fine. The fix at the moment is just to wait. After a few hours it seems to work

Activision asked me to make all players affected by the problem contact them at their twitter account Activision Support.

Please direct the players that are contacting you about this to contact us directly so we can investigate this further^MD

Sigh, like I want to bother players with this kind of stuff..

[conspiracy rage]

I bet they won't even try to find a fix for this, I have a feeling they just want to give me the illusion that they are working on it. Why else would they want to take me out of the loop and work it out directly with the player base/client side, while it's clearly a server side issue.

They didn't ask me for any technical troubleshooting and only asked basic questions like if I'm using a wired or wireless connection..

I told them we use wired connections in datacenters around the globe. After that they asked me again if we used wired or wireless connections.. :rolleyes:

It's also quite interesting that they just announced a COD 4 remaster release after these problems started. Which of course is only included when buying a more expensive special edition of the new COD infinite warfare. I somehow don't think fixing the original COD4 is in their best interests..

[/conspiracy rage]

• 4 weeks later...
Activision asked me to make all players affected by the problem contact them at their twitter account Activision Support.

Sigh, like I want to bother players with this kind of stuff..

[conspiracy rage]

I bet they won't even try to find a fix for this, I have a feeling they just want to give me the illusion that they are working on it. Why else would they want to take me out of the loop and work it out directly with the player base/client side, while it's clearly a server side issue.

They didn't ask me for any technical troubleshooting and only asked basic questions like if I'm using a wired or wireless connection..

I told them we use wired connections in datacenters around the globe. After that they asked me again if we used wired or wireless connections.. :rolleyes:

It's also quite interesting that they just announced a COD 4 remaster release after these problems started. Which of course is only included when buying a more expensive special edition of the new COD infinite warfare. I somehow don't think fixing the original COD4 is in their best interests..

[/conspiracy rage]

Definitely sounds like they don't care and have no idea what they are talking about.

Archived