"Get Files From" FTP server?

hellomotow

My servers disk space is limited. Rather than install all the games on our local machine we want to use a storage server.

I have setup a "File server" however I don't know how we can install the games there which will be used by our server nodes to create a local copy for each user.

The only work around I can think of (if this is not possible with the File server) is to create a NFS mount directory for "Game Files Path:"

First off, I hope that won't put too much of a performance hit on things and I wouldn't actually do it, buuuut;

It'd always be best to create a mount on the server running the actual games.

Say ISCSI or NFS.(Not sure which would be better in this case, best google and compare)

First off, I hope that won't put too much of a performance hit on things and I wouldn't actually do it, buuuut;

It'd always be best to create a mount on the server running the actual games.

Say ISCSI or NFS.(Not sure which would be better in this case, best google and compare)

Thanks for the reply. I will try with NFS and see how it goes. I will only be doing this for the installation files.

What exactly is the file server for then? because I am able to select it as the "Get Files From" option but in the steam game downloader option in Game Tools I can't install the game files on it.

Thanks for the reply. I will try with NFS and see how it goes. I will only be doing this for the installation files.

What exactly is the file server for then? because I am able to select it as the "Get Files From" option but in the steam game downloader option in Game Tools I can't install the game files on it.

Get Files from FTP Server is telling you that your master server holds the files and your remote receives them from that server via FTP

Oh I didn't know you meant installation files, that was a bit unclear.

I have a server like that as well. It isn't even my Master, just a fileserver away from it all which holds rar files of all the install folders. (Also have backups to that location, massive amounts of terabytes on it)

You can set that up within TCAdmin without needing to add anything like NFS. I actually have it on multiple locations via 1 fileserver over ftp.

Oh I didn't know you meant installation files, that was a bit unclear.

I have a server like that as well. It isn't even my Master, just a fileserver away from it all which holds rar files of all the install folders. (Also have backups to that location, massive amounts of terabytes on it)

You can set that up within TCAdmin without needing to add anything like NFS. I actually have it on multiple locations via 1 fileserver over ftp.

So when you get a new order one of your servers that hosts it pulls the data from that fileserver instead of downloading it from steam and keeping a copy of it locally? If so is there a guide on setting that up?

So when you get a new order one of your servers that hosts it pulls the data from that fileserver instead of downloading it from steam and keeping a copy of it locally? If so is there a guide on setting that up?

In each game you have steam settings so when a new order comes in it will download the files then steam kicks in to update the server files.

All you need to do is designate a file server or you can just pull the files from the master server and place them in these directories.

Win: C:\TCAFiles\Games

Linux: /home/tcadmin/tcafiles/games

Exactly, I don't use Steam for it. I use Steam to set up the first batch of files, customise where needed(say add in steam's .dll files) rar the files, upload it to an ftp server.

Next time server is created, it goes to download the files from my ftp/storage server.

Step further possible too, you can set it so the rar files are saved on the remote.

It checks the storage server to see if the timestamp on storage server is newer than remote. If yes, it downloads new one! If not, it uses the rar on the remote.(Can also use it without storing on remote!)

I tried finding the guide on the wiki but failed, pretty sure it was on there though..