Windows 2003 for Master and XP for slaves?

Guest marsupillami

Guest marsupillami

Hi

I?m about to start in Windows world for gameservers. Currently, I own 3 Linux gameservers, however the problem is the game-panels that exist... they are all very weak. I would like to know, if possible, some things:

- Is Windows 2003 only required for the Master Server, or should the Slave servers also run it? I was thinking about using Windows XP on the slave servers, because they?re cheaper.

- Is the Master server able to run games also? Or is it a dedicated IIS machine?

- What kind of DB does this panel use? MSDE? MySQL? Will it be required MSSQL?

Thank You.

-We only support Win2k3 for the master due to the limitation that WINXP has on its IIS (Internet Information Services) which is a 10 user concurrent connection count. And the WinXP IIS wasn't really designed for a large hosting environment.

We do recommend Win2k3 on all machines, but of course that is your --choice.

-You can run game servers on the master server if you would like to.

-We support 2 database types. MYSql and MS Access.

If you cant afford to purchase 2003 out right you can look into becoming part of MS Partner Program where you purchase the media and rent the licences. Think were paying $25.00CAD for each of the licenses for our machines. Plus then you also have access to all the softer software.

After signingup for the partner program it takes about 6 months for them to get intouch with you, but is well worth the wait.

• 1 month later...
MYSql will effect it, since it utilizes resources. Access DB does not. And IS it depends on how active the panel is.

Will it ever be possible to use a linux box as the master server (web server) and run the gameservers on win2k3 (remote/slave) is something like that planned?

Archived