What the heck is going on with the forums?

Dennis

2 hours ago, mouseymars said:

Yeah, I've been using the default it's a lot better.

I really wish this had of been discussed more with the community before jumping into it.

Even just asking us what we would like from the froums would have been welcomed.

Things can still be discussed if you want to see a different theme, make a request everything can be easily requested and voted on by the community. 

1 hour ago, ucjohn said:

Things can still be discussed if you want to see a different theme, make a request everything can be easily requested and voted on by the community. 

I think most people's point here is that should of happened before the change -- not after.

18 minutes ago, Bubka3 said:

I think most people's point here is that should of happened before the change -- not after.

Luis is the owner I've been discussing it with him for a very long time, at the end of the day it was his call. We now have addressed and agreed that any more major changes will be there for the community to vote for. The old forums hadn't been updated since 2012 and vbulletin was out of date and owned by a previous owner. 

On 2/26/2020 at 1:35 PM, DennisMidjord said:

Exactly. Not to mention that I was actually hired for the most recent job posting back in February 2019. Alongside helping with creating configs and generally helping users on the forum, I was also going to help migrate the forum and get everything up and running (which was supposed to happen around September/October), but I never heard anything back. I used a lot of time reading and testing migration from vBulletin 3.8 to XenForo (as this was the software that most users wanted, and I have a license that isn't used for anything else), so I was quite surprised to see that, all of a sudden, everything had been changed with no apparent interest in the topic that started the entire discussion about a new forum:

No offense to anyone, but it feels weird that someone with 20 posts (at that time) and years of inactivity gets to control a forum, just because he provided a license for it. There are multiple active users that I would have suggested for this job, like @alexr03 or @numpty. These people have been showing massive interest in the forums for years, and so have I.

While I do appreciate the modern design of the forum, I felt happier about the old forum. I like changes a lot, but this just feels like a weird place now.

Actually IPB has own converter. So probably thats why went fast :D Im using IPB myself also i like it but yeah i feel the rush here ? 

12 minutes ago, DeteCT0R said:

Actually IPB has own converter. So probably thats why went fast :D Im using IPB myself also i like it but yeah i feel the rush here ? 

Personally been using IPB since 2012, I think it mainly boiled down to no security or spam prevention working on the old forums Vbulletin is why it was Luis agreed to the change. Without it affecting content flow while offering all the baked in security and spam prevention. 

Some issues:

1: I want to NOT display my birthday date. (but a bit late now). Seems the only one without a birthday is LFA

2: Should be able to edit and/or delete post and/or replies to posts (your own ones obviously). Currently edit shows for about 2 seconds and then shows no post error.

Edited by jungleNZ

12 minutes ago, jungleNZ said:

Some issues:

1: I want to NOT display my birthday date. (but a bit late now). Seems the only one without a birthday is LFA

2: Should be able to edit and/or delete post and/or replies to posts (your own ones obviously). Currently edit shows for about 2 seconds and then shows no post error.

We have a website issue post for this stuff... So I can work on it, I don't usually check this post, the amount of time you have to edit a post is 60 Minutes. You do not have the ability to delete posts, as that's what a moderator is for, you can easily report a specific post. Unless you have a screenshot of said error I cannot look into it.

Birthdays are required for age verification if your 13 or under some weird law but legal laws etc... After the conversion it used old forum privacy rules which displayed birthdays etc, I've gone ahead and fixed it to only display the "Birthday personal birthdays to yourself and admins"

On 2/28/2020 at 12:05 PM, mouseymars said:

Yeah, I've been using the default it's a lot better.

I really wish this had of been discussed more with the community before jumping into it.

Even just asking us what we would like from the froums would have been welcomed.

I agree it should have been discussed  at massive length within the community with the people stating what it may be and why.. like reasons for and then we take a vote for example.. we would be able to air out opinion and thoughts on the specific forum software  and discuss our likes and dislikes  like adults. But all gets changed without notice  kinda leaves the community  out the equation  I think 

1 hour ago, numpty said:

I agree it should have been discussed  at massive length within the community with the people stating what it may be and why.. like reasons for and then we take a vote for example.. we would be able to air out opinion and thoughts on the specific forum software  and discuss our likes and dislikes  like adults. But all gets changed without notice  kinda leaves the community  out the equation  I think 

Yes and no it was done more for security purposes and it was in discussion for well over 6 years. Needless to say I'm fine tuning everything and we have a website issue tracker and a request section. I'm working with the community for the community, now that the move is completed and finalized, in reality it boils down to the owners decision and he wanted to protect the forums and have full security range to protect you the end users which now he does.

I'm now working side by side with @DennisMidjordand other members to fine tune and constantly give the forums a better experience the start was rough. There is no need to continue with the banter about it some people are upset at the change and some people enjoyed the fresh update. We cannot please 100% of the entire community at the end of the day we are all here to benefit and move into the future as it's now 2020. The old Forums was very out dated and had 0 security to prevent spam bots and etc... 

Topic is now locked as banter is no longer needed. "I will work with the community just make requests what you want to see"

• ucjohn locked this topic