ARK Workshop Mods Crashing

Jimmy-CS

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has ran into the following issue. I've gotten the Steam Workshop downloader for ARK working and all of the files appear in order. However, as soon as one mod is loaded the server crashes with the following (I'm on CentOS 7 so I'm not sure what's up with the Windows file path):

Using binned.
4.5.1-0+UE4 7038 3077 404 10
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110
LowLevelFatalError [File:F:\build\trunk\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 3920]
Bad name index 1778199802/120
Signal 11 caught.
EngineCrashHandler: Signal=11
Segmentation fault

After the mod is downloaded, the mods folder looks like this:

iK0zWLr.png

All appears well and the GameUserSettings.ini file contains ActiveMods=731604991 as it should. I have located no other logs that would indicate any other errors aside from the console message posted above.

After scouring many other forums and the ARK wiki, I am unable to find a solution that doesn't include additional scripts since I want to keep this process as simple as possible. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Jimmy-CS

So after further testing and investigation, some smaller minor mods appear to be working fine- but other, typically larger mods over a few MB, are triggering a crash.

I have tried multiple mods over 20MB as well which always prevent the server from starting, however, some mods that are 0.0127 MB are also crashing the server. Perhaps it's some type of file corruption that's occurring but that's only a best guess as of now. I am testing different types because I am aware that conflicting mods are possible, but even mods like Structures+ which are one of the most prominent, when loaded by itself, still crashes.

No further leads to investigate at this time... ?

5 hours ago, LFA said:

Did you run the steam update? I had these crashes with any workshop mod but the latest update fixed it on my test server.

Yes sir! Fresh server install then Steam update & validate, only with Structures+ and the same result.

I think it's a bug with the game files. I created a new game server with fresh files and it's crashing. Unfortunately I didn't have enough space in the server so I deleted the files that were working. I tried the steam update with verify/validate but it still crashes. Downloaded it twice. Same error.

Actually it only crashes when I have any mod installed. Same error you are getting.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found the solution. Create this custom batch/shell script for the after created and after reinstalled events with "Execute as the service's user" checked.

In the game's steam tab check "Execute as the service's user".

Then create a new game server and see if it crashes after installing a mod. I created a new game server with fresh files and it worked for me.

mkdir -p ${ThisService_RootDirectory}Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux
cd ${ThisService_RootDirectory}Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux
curl -sqL "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz" | tar zxvf -
./steamcmd.sh +exit
ln -s /home/`whoami`/Steam/steamapps/ ${ThisService_RootDirectory}/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/steamapps                   

On 4/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, LFA said:

I think I found the solution. Create this custom batch/shell script for the after created and after reinstalled events with "Execute as the service's user" checked.

Then create a new game server and see if it crashes after installing a mod. I created a new game server with fresh files and it worked for me.

Sounds good..

Wondering if you have any idea about this one?

Step: (1 of 1)
Error: Could not find file "/home/tcagame/xxxx/97/steamapps/workshop/content/346110/817096835/LinuxNoEditor/Dinos/Bigfoot/Sasquatch_New_Core.uasset.z"
Link: http://cp.chicagoservers.co/Interface/TaskScheduler/TaskManager.aspx?taskid=2371

Log Details
Downloading file 817096835 from Steam...
Executing before Workshop install/update scripts...
Downloading Extinction Core from Steam (3351927609/3298765958)...
Executing after Workshop install/update scripts...
Could not find file "/home/tcagame/xxxx/97/steamapps/workshop/content/346110/817096835/LinuxNoEditor/Dinos/Bigfoot/Sasquatch_New_Core.uasset.z"

In addition to the above mentioned error which happens sporadically, the below one is still being received in SSH when attempting to launch the server with three mods known to be compatible when uploaded via manually, after implementing the script you provided.

Using binned.
4.5.1-0+UE4 7038 3077 404 10

(about 15-20 seconds later the second part follows:)

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110
LowLevelFatalError [File:E:\build\Live310\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 3920]
Bad name index -1641380927/41
Signal 11 caught.
EngineCrashHandler: Signal=11

I even ran the script you provided (using correct file paths of course), line by line, to ensure that every step was done properly, and that was the error received.

I even tried setting the above script to "Before workshop install" just to be safe that no Steam update w/ verify are removing any files needed.

@LFA,I greatly appreciate your time that you've spent trying to help rectify this, but it appears my tires are just spinning in the mud ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 2:47 AM, LFA said:

mkdir -p ${ThisService_RootDirectory}Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux
cd ${ThisService_RootDirectory}Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux
curl -sqL "https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd_linux.tar.gz" | tar zxvf -
./steamcmd.sh +exit
ln -s /home/`whoami`/Steam/steamapps/ ${ThisService_RootDirectory}/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/steamapps                   

But are you running on Linux or Windows? I've got the same issues as Jimmy-CS, on linux. Whenever I try to install a mod with the steam workshop inside tcadmin it won't launch afterwards. 

It only works if i do this:

1. Subscribe to the mod

2. Launche ark on my PC

3. Host a non dedicated server

4. Then upload the mod files from my local mod folder.

5. Then the server will launch fine with the mods enabled(After adding them to activemods ofc).

But this is not a solution tho.. It's a really annoying way to do this, and keep mods updated with a potato internet....

16 hours ago, stiiaN said:

It only works if i do this:

1. Subscribe to the mod

2. Launche ark on my PC

3. Host a non dedicated server

4. Then upload the mod files from my local mod folder.

5. Then the server will launch fine with the mods enabled(After adding them to activemods ofc).

But this is not a solution tho.. It's a really annoying way to do this, and keep mods updated with a potato internet....

Same here. I've disabled the workshop browser in TCA for my customers and they're going to have to resort to the manual process as you mentioned.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:37 AM, Jimmy-CS said:

Same here. I've disabled the workshop browser in TCA for my customers and they're going to have to resort to the manual process as you mentioned.

Yea, that I can understand. But is there a way to make steamcmd for linux download the "windows" files for ark mods....  I am not entirely sure for why the server just crashes if we have used the steam workshop, ark server supports linux... So again I wonder if LFA has tested with linux..

9 hours ago, stiiaN said:

Yea, that I can understand. But is there a way to make steamcmd for linux download the "windows" files for ark mods....  I am not entirely sure for why the server just crashes if we have used the steam workshop, ark server supports linux... So again I wonder if LFA has tested with linux..

I have spent hours on try to get this to work correctly. Some mods work others don't but your suggestion about downloading windows files worked for me.  I updated the workshop install script. Let me know if it works for you. https://help.tcadmin.com/Ark_Workshop_Scripts_for_Linux

3 hours ago, LFA said:

I have spent hours on try to get this to work correctly. Some mods work others don't but your suggestion about downloading windows files worked for me.  I updated the workshop install script. Let me know if it works for you. https://help.tcadmin.com/Ark_Workshop_Scripts_for_Linux

Well, now you don't need to spend more hours 🙂 I tried that script, now it works flawlessly! I installed 3 mods, one at the time and it works! Great work man! Thanks. 

May I ask what you changed?

Steamcmd workshop for Ark downloads 2 sets of files. One for Linux and the other for Windows. On Linux the script used Linux files and only used Windows files if it didn't have Linux files. That's probably why some mod worked and some didn't. I just changed it to always use the Windows files.

32 minutes ago, LFA said:

Steamcmd workshop for Ark downloads 2 sets of files. One for Linux and the other for Windows. On Linux the script used Linux files and only used Windows files if it didn't have Linux files. That's probably why some mod worked and some didn't. I just changed it to always use the Windows files.

Ahh, makes sense. But awesome that you fixed it 🙂 thank you!

On 5/19/2020 at 2:37 AM, Jimmy-CS said:

You need to check out the script he posted, it fixes the linux issues with installing mods! https://help.tcadmin.com/Ark_Workshop_Scripts_for_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

So about 6/7 mods are working fine, but every once in a while a mod is showing an error similar to this:

Could not find a part of the path "/home/tcavirtualsvr9/customer/624/steamapps/workshop/content/346110/1522327484/WindowsNoEditor/Deinosuchus/Dino/Deinosuchus_Character_BP.uasset.z".

On 6/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jimmy-CS said:

So about 6/7 mods are working fine, but every once in a while a mod is showing an error similar to this:

Could not find a part of the path "/home/tcavirtualsvr9/customer/624/steamapps/workshop/content/346110/1522327484/WindowsNoEditor/Deinosuchus/Dino/Deinosuchus_Character_BP.uasset.z".

I updated the workshop install script to fix this. Problem was that the WindowsNoEditor was placed in /downloads/ instead of /content/

https://help.tcadmin.com/Ark_Workshop_Scripts_for_Linux

• 4 weeks later...

@LFA

I did apply the most recent revision of your script which works for the majority, but it seems we're still encountering one more bug that is present on some of the more popular mods as well:

Log Details
Downloading file 1741916864 from Steam...
Executing before Workshop install/update scripts...
Downloading eco's Primordial Saddles from Steam (retry 2 1229856965/764473978)...
Executing after Workshop install/update scripts...
Could not find file "/home/tcavirtualsvr6/customer/148/steamapps/workshop/content/346110/1741916864/WindowsNoEditor/Volcanic/Materials/ScalesKnobbyTiling_N.uasset.z"

Any help would be appreciated as always! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...