Limiting Fps Issues

Jdubz31

I finally have my master finally configured to how I need to have it for our company, however I have a couple questions/issues that I would like to see if I can get answered here. The first is in to regards in setting up a server in HL1 or HL2. Is there something that I can have set in my config for the game panel to have it where its simply a box to insert the numerical value for say fps on HL1 and tickrate on HL2. I am merely trying to make setups faster and easier. Also, since source tickrate is commandline driven, I don't have many worries of clients changing rates and inducing more resources to be used then that of which they are paying, however how do all you big providers make sure that say for HL1 mods customers aren't changing the fps of which their server is being run at. I have been trying to recall some kind of an argument to insert in the command line, but it hasn't been coming back to me. Feel free to chime in. I appreciate any help in advance.

Jordan

Most hosts have more than one game config for each type of game. Example: CS 33 tick and CS 100 tick. 2 different configs with different settings for each game and tickrate.

You can also use a default config and then use the override commandline feature in the services settings to enter a completely new commandline to include tick and fps rates.

Same for Source games except for the differences would be in the commandline instead of the config file.

The best way to stop users from changing a HL1 config to obtain higher tickrate/fps rate is to run unboosted games on a server which does not have the multimedia timer boosted, and run the ticked games on one that does. This is how a lot of the larger providers do it.

Archived