Ned serious help getting servers configured/started

sfcmert

If there is anyone that is willing to assist a total noob at GPS'ing...I am in the military and dont have a lot of time to sit down and read the "how to's" for everything. So if there is anyone out there that would be willing to lend a helping hand, it would be greatly appreciated...even if it is just to get us started out...THANKS!

sfcmert,

You said your in the military and dont have alot of time. Well brothe all I can tel lyou is your going to need ALOT of time. Starting a GSP isnt an open the box adventure. Setting up your servers is the easy part. Keeping them running is the hard part. You also going to need alot of time dedicated for client support. Gamers want support instant.

I think its been said on here before but some gamers who dont ge tthier ticket responded to in a timley manner will sometimes simply "move to the next GSP".

My advice is take a step back and think about it...

OK, let me take a step back...

We wanted a box to run dedicated servers for our selves and have some extra slots to run for some friendly clans we know. We arent at this point going to be going out to everyone and starting like a GPS for anyone. I just need to know how to customize and set-up the bsic stuff to get us started for now...

That is what we got is a dedicated box with TCAdmin. What I need assistance with is:

1. FTP access...I seem to be having some problems establishing the connection

2. Installing voice server files for Teamspeak and Ventrilo

3. Configuraitons, such as making servers 100tic, mani-admin, etc...

Like I said I am really not up on server stuff, but I was choosen because I was the lead who mentioned getting the box...so anyone who can help, it would be appreciated!

Even if someone can help with one aspect and get me that much closer to what we want to be running...

Please get your story straight. I personally spoke to you when the initial order was placed over the phone and you were told if you needed assistance with a specific problem we would be available but it is generally your responsibility to setup, configure and maintain your machine.

What you asked is for one of my staff to phone you and walk you through each process of setting up your dedicated server then walk you through each step setting up the control panel and every mod, config etc.. I advised you this is not something we are equipped to do and you might browse the tcadmin forums for the information you seek concerning the CP questions. As well I didn't tell you to pester the tcadmin support desk or pm members here either..

I doubt it very much you will find a dedicated server company that will do what your asking especially after you state you don't know very much about the games your looking to make $$ selling. This tells me that everytime there is a small problem or one of your customers needs something changed you will be heating up the providers support desk which isn't something most look forward to. We don't mind helping but if you need us to support your customers and your spending the $$ there's something wrong there..

This is akin to someone buying a car dealership and never seeing a car before.. Do you think Ford or Chevy is going to send someone over to explain all the ins and outs of running a car dealership? I think not and this is not any different.

In case you missed the big banner at the top of the page here you can probably guess there are a fair number of GSP's here that rent dedicated boxes from us and all of them will tell you how "helpful" our support is.

1. FTP access...I seem to be having some problems establishing the connection

Use an FTP client to connect to the IP that shows in the panel. If you have problems connecting then turn on PASV mode in your FTP client.

2. Installing voice server files for Teamspeak and Ventrilo

Ventrilo requires licensing to run and you can't get the licensing unless you are approved by ventrilo. So forget about that. Teamspeak you download and install the TS server software then goto System Settings>Voice Server Setup in TCAdmin and enter the information about your TS server.

3. Configuraitons, such as making servers 100tic, mani-admin, etc...

CS 1.6 Tickrates read here:

http://esupport.tcadmin.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=17&nav=0

CS Source Tickrates read here:

http://esupport.tcadmin.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18&nav=0

After that you are on your own. I would suggest hiring a server admin if you need help with setting anything else up.

People here will help if you ask a direct question. But if you have zero clue as to how to setup anything, then they will not bother since you will be gone in a month anyways. Harsh reality, but the truth.

Thank you for the assistance people have given to me, I really appreciate it!

1. I have gotten the FTP part figured out.

2. I now have a master Teamspeak server up and am requesting permission to become an ATHP.

3. I will continue toread on making servers 100tic...

As far as what Rich said...

Please get your story straight. I personally spoke to you when the initial order was placed over the phone and you were told if you needed assistance with a specific problem we would be available but it is generally your responsibility to setup, configure and maintain your machine: I requested assistance with a specific problem, the games that I could automatically start a server for was blank and I was directed to these forums, where the real answer is a step was not completed with my server and was corrected after 8 hours of searching by me for an answer and much frustration.

What you asked is for one of my staff to phone you and walk you through each process of setting up your dedicated server then walk you through each step setting up the control panel and every mod, config etc.. I advised you this is not something we are equipped to do and you might browse the tcadmin forums for the information you seek concerning the CP questions. As well I didn't tell you to pester the tcadmin support desk or pm members here either..I did not ask for one of your staff members to set-up my server for me, what I was asking was assistance to ensure steps I was taking to set-up the server was correct...maybe it was because of the contradiction of the server costs/specs or the 8 hours of frustration I endured due to my server not being set-up correctly, but I question that things I am setting-up are not working because I didnt do it correctly...or there is something else wrong with the server box.

All I am looking for is to have a box that can do CS 1.6, CS:S and AA, with 100tic servers and voice servers.

And I would also ask what kind of company would try to embarass and degrade one of their customers in a public forum.

I also thought this was the place to ask for help? I would be willing to pay someone to assist me in setting up the TCAdmin, so I know it is doen correctly...

Rich and Defcon are very good and would not have grown to their present size or been in business as long as they have been if they were not. Many here have servers from him/them and have no complaints.

ECF posted in this thread (post #19) with a few links to assist you. Also if you check other threads here, a majority of your questions have been answered previously.

Also see my post here... specifically the 3rd paragraph..... http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/showthread.php?t=1038

I am not saying that he is not...I just feel that there has been some definite misunderstandings/situations, like I stated; the quoted pricing of the server and then the first request for assistance (which was a mistake on their end, but I was not assisted until I bugged their support to get and answer after 8 hours of searching here - I dont think customers should have to do that!) But enough on that, I just want to get things going...

I used the over-ride commands line (shown below) to boost to 100tic and uploaded the fpsboost.exe to the same folder as the scrds.exe:

srcdsfpsboost.exe -game cstrike -console +ip 208.101.41.193 -port 27015 +maxplayers 40 +exec server.cfg +map de_aztec -autoupdate -tickrate 100 +fps_max 550

Was this the correct action?

No. Booster just needs to be running on the server doesn't matter where it runs from. You only need one copy of it runnign as well.

That commandline is fine for SOurce, but CS 1.6 requires commands in the server.cfg file. See the FAQ I linked to in the previous post.

Also -autoupdate doesn't work to my knowledge, so you can take that out.

Archived