Spam Posts

ECF

As many of you have noticed we have had spam posts popping up around the forums. I usually just delete them and move on, but recently they seem to be coming more frequently,

So I have installed a new VB Hack Program to combat this issue. I am leaving the image verification in place during registration, but this new hack will also require additional input from the user.

Hopefully this will curb the spammers for a bit.

We implemented the same on our forum, and it turns out they were not bots. Companies actually hire people to go sign up on forums to bypass the COPPA requirements, then post the spam. It came down to me restricting registration and verifiying all new accounts before I activated them. This isn't too bad if you have email verification turned on. Real people will use real email addresses. Spammers use fake ones, and they're a dead giveaway. Then you just ban the IP and email from the forum before they even get a chance to post.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but some of the posts do seem like they were made by humans rather than bots.

If we have to we can hand verify all registrations. But that just seems like a bunch of work to look through a ton of emails each day and weed out the bad ones.

All you need to do is add a mod that adds any posts that are made by people with 1 post or less into a moderation queue IF they contain a link or contain the words such as 'p*rn, dr*gs, vi*gra, anything to that effect really.

It works a treat and will remove all SPAM completely!

Archived