A few more questions!

rich835

Hi,

I'm nearing the end of my 20 day trial now, and we're about to buy, but I have some more questions!

Currently I have the master and web server on 1 box, everything works fine, but I find that it is quite slow to even bring up the web page remotely. It's a powerful box, dual 3.4 xeon, loadsa ram etc.

I'm wondering what it the recommended way to run this? should we have a server dedicated as a master/web and that's all it does, split the web side from the master function or what?

I'm using msaccess as the db on the box, so I don't have the overhead of mysql to worry about.

Any advice much appreciated.

Put in a support ticket. Luis has the link for the converter which he can provide you Jase.

As for the original poster. MYSql will run faster, but you should not have a huge speed problem unless you have 5+ remotes on your system. I would suggest putting in a ticket and having one of us look at it for you.

It's ok, I think I see what it is now. If I put the ip of the server striaght into my browser it works fine, but what I did was create a subdomain with a page forwarder from my website to go to the server, and it seems that the resolution of that is what's causing the delay. Obviously my webspace provider isn't up to much!

As my trial is coming to an end, what I plan to do is to purchase a master and remote initially, but now I'm also thinking of purchasing one of your web hosting accounts to go with it. If I go down that route will you be able to take my access db and import it into the hosted mysql db? Also what would need to be done on my existing master/web server to remove the web element of the set up, and can this all be done without losing any data?

Thanks again

Archived