Ftp Help

erdcaged

I installed tcadmin and everything works except for the ftp server. Occasionally it will let me log in, but most of the time it accepts my login then times out. It is happening for all of my customers, which are using a variety of ftp clients. I have tcp port 21 open and the ftp server set to run on port 21. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help would be appreciated.

Make sure you are not running another FTP service on the box such as IIS FTP.

Change the FTP Client Mode: to PASV mode instead of port mode in System Settings>Servers if it isn't already. Or try setting it to port mode if it is set to PASV.

On the ftp client itself, i have flipped between port and passive and on the server i have tripple checked that iis ftp isn't even installed and I have NO third party ftp servers on the server. Are their ftp setting in tcadmin where I could specify a different port or some settings? because system settings>>> servers on the tcadmin page just allows me to restart or view console output. Any other ideas?

Ok, I found the ftp setting inside tcadmin, I toggled it to passive saved it restarted. Still problems. Same when I toggled it back to port, saved, and restarted. I turned the firewall completely off and ran netstat -a and nothing else is running on port 21. Any other ideas?

I fgured it out. If TCadmin was set on port, i'd set the ftp client on port. I tried smart ftp, fireftp, filezilla, and smart ftp and the results were all the same. But when TCadmin had it's setting to port and the ftp clients that were being used were set to passive. All the problems disappeared. I'll just have to notify my clients.

Archived