Approximately how many servers?

I'm looking at purchasing the following server:

2 x AMD Opteron 265

2GB RAM

HD 320GB (IDE)

I just can't remember how many servers it can run. I know the Dual Opteron 265 processor is more powerful than it's Intel equivalent, can anyone give me an estimation?

And should 1500GB monthly Bandwidth limit be enough for all of the servers running on a 10Mbps connection? I usually would just go with the Unmetered bandwidth, but if I can save myself $100/month, I'm willing to try something new.

Depending on slots counts per servers, and mods. I would hazard around 5-6. Maybe more.

Keep in mind that large slot count servers eat CPU and RAM at a much faster rate. So a 32 player server will eat much more than say a 16 player server. They are not proportionate so to speak. And if you plan to bump the tickrates up on them, that will eat CPU as well.

Then mods will also add to the resource count as well. In the end it is trial and error, no one can give you a defind number per server. You may get more, you may get less. There are simply too many variables to take into account to simply throw out a number.

I stop setting up a server when the CPU uaage peaks at around 75%

So from time there will be 12 servers on a box (high spec), then on others it will be like 3 or 4 on the same spec box.

There isnt a science or a formula (well, im sure there is but its pointless), you should just use experience.

A friend of mine uses Intel Dual Xeon processors, but per 2 gigs of ram he runs 10 servers, and on 4 gigs he goes to 20, so basically his idea is...as long as you have good CPU power, you go 10 Steam servers 2 gigs of RAM. But then again it still sometimes depends of the servers sizes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived