Ssl

matrix4583

You would need to purchase an SSL certificate first to use on the server. I believe most places also give instructions on how to implement the cert on different configurations.

well you can't do one on ISS? Since i own my server not rent.

You may do a self signed cert following Microsoft’s instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228991

But visitors will always get notice that the certificate can't be trusted. You are far better off taking the route suggested by defcon rich, as that will get you a certificate that doesn't pop up warnings on your visitors computers making them not trust your site.

Right Click on your website in IIS

Directory Security

Click on Server Certificate

Complete the required information

Make sure you have your SSL from VeriSign, etc.

You will know you have it right when you see View Certificate

You can force the use of ssl by clicking on Edit then adjusting the settings to your likings.

To make the cert trusted you will need to purchase one. Do a google search for "SSL cert". Most sites selling these will have answers to some of the more specific questions you have.

Prices range from a few $$ per year and up depending on options but you only need a simple website SSL.

I must have a domain name to work? not numbers?

These are questions that that should be relayed to either your hosting provider or the vendor which you have purchased the SSL from, OR you could just try Google.

I would suggest you go the Google route as it looks like your very inexperienced in the hosting game and all the extra reading you'll have to do would benefit you greatly.

When I didnt understand anything about SSL I spent 25$-50$ bucks on a license from godaddy and spent a day playing around with it and googling.

Google it and dont try to work from spoon fed information because you dont learn. Godaddy has all the information and instructions you need and require to understanding them on their site and FAQ.

Archived