Weird titles

Defcon|Rich

Little rant coming up here.. Hold on tight ;)

What's the deal with GSP's thinking up titles for themselves? I see many providers that I doubt are even a registered DBA thinking it's ok to tack on a "INC", "LLC", or giving themselves titles like "CEO" which I presume is done to convey a sense of trust with their customers or potential customers.

My guess is anyone with an IQ over 50 can take one look at most sites and know the owner probably cannot even spell corporation let alone run one. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..

I took a call the other day from a kid who says "I'm the commanding officer for clan blah, blah. and it's my duty to inquire about servers for my group."

Needless to say It took me a good 10 seconds to regain enough composure to respond. ;)

Always pull up and see if they have a D&B D-U-N-S number.

I wont say that a real business that truly is going to stand on it's own will have a D&B number. (unless of course your goal is to use your own SSN , to finance the business).

You'll also need a D-U-N-s number if you ever plan of doing business with the fed gov.

Check you state's public records etc etc.

90% of the info on a business is public records.

Sec of the State will have the records on LLC/ etc etc..

Not sure if there are laws about adding INC. LLC, LLP to a business when they are not one. I'm sure that would be a state matter.

Good read here

http://jumpup.intuit.com/myths/naming/myth

and if you have or say you have a DUNS number it will be listed here :)

http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform/searchAction.do

If I recall correctly, I dont know american law at all, but I think you have to have atleast 3 positions in a company to legitamately have a legal CEO position.

A director, secretary and one other position that I cant remember for the life of me... but I think im getting an english LLC confused.

Anyway, Im Chris CEO. Ha

Cant say much on this topic as Im an up and coming business. My site is crappy but I have requested a quote from Innate Media Group. Sites do speak volume to people who first take a glance. But like you stated it's whats behind the site that should be the most important. Business ethics etc.

I wouldnt say CEO as I look at that title as someone who is the head of a large business. ( GM, Ford, EA, etc. ) I say Owner as my name is on the LLC License with the State of Ohio.

But I can clearly see your points.

Actually in reference to an LLC you would have "members" but members can use any title as long as the title is permitted under the LLC. Calling yourself the owner kind of negates the point of forming the LLC since most use an LLC or Corp. for the purpose of protecting their legal assets.

Your business name reminds of drgservers.com. Those guys would be a perfect example of the point of this thread ;)

Here in the US legally when you form a buinsess entity you usually have a President, and then whatever else the other people involved would like to call themselves. eg. vice president, operations director, CEO etc...

While important communications should include this title, like if you were applying for a loan, or tax id number, I see no reason to put titles in forum signatures. It seems tacky, and like the person is trying to impress others by their title.

Which brings up the questions of....

How many people here are actually a legal business entity such as a corporation or LLC?

And how many people have a Fedral TAX ID number?

This of course is speaking of the US clients, as overseas the laws are most likely different to a degree.

I know my LLC is run off my Social. And I label myself owner as if I do hire anyone it will be as a Sub Contractor. That way I cut them a check and they do there taxes. Makes it easier on me to file and less work keeping track of taxes.

Also any legit business, should have the Federal Tax ID. I know when I first started I didn't. I ran it as hobby trying to support my gaming clan. But have since moved up and elected to do the things the right way now that I have decided to form a business.

But as Rich stated, if you make money acting like a business and presenting yourself as one. You should have it registered and pay taxes like everyone else.

Your business name reminds of drgservers.com. Those guys would be a perfect example of the point of this thread ;)

Don't know much about them so can't comment.

Just go to their website. Every other word they mention "INC." and make statements that they have been in business for 5 years.. Pretty much the whole site is a fabrication. They are the poster boys for topics like this.. ;)

I know my LLC is run off my Social. And I label myself owner as if I do hire anyone it will be as a Sub Contractor. That way I cut them a check and they do there taxes. Makes it easier on me to file and less work keeping track of taxes.

Also any legit business, should have the Federal Tax ID. I know when I first started I didn't. I ran it as hobby trying to support my gaming clan. But have since moved up and elected to do the things the right way now that I have decided to form a business.

But as Rich stated, if you make money acting like a business and presenting yourself as one. You should have it registered and pay taxes like everyone else.

You need to fix your site if it's a business and not a hobby

http://www.disturbed-gamerz.com/modernbill/order/orderwiz.php?v=1

[Error 2-22] This license failed to auto-renew and has expired. Please click here to auto-renew your license now.

http://www.dgservers.com/referral.html

Not Found

The requested URL /referral.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Just go to their website. Every other word they mention "INC." and make statements that they have been in business for 5 years.. Pretty much the whole site is a fabrication. They are the poster boys for topics like this.. ;)

Ha, I just did some basic sweeps and checks/comparisons on their site. I can only comment on their selling approach as very patronizing and degrading.

They have silly words repeatings:

satisfaction 7 1.27%

100% Satisfaction - Is one of the things you get apparently as a feature when you buy something from them. Thats an interesting term to include.

Here at [web address] INC we are arguably one of the best internet service providers out there !!!,

Thats a little lame as a clinch/hook line. I dislike companies who are cut-throat enough to compare services to other companies as a way to improve their creditability. Its a bit like pre school where you would slag off other people to make you look better.

But, you are right about their whole... (cant think of the word), visade ~ visage?

Its very superficial.

O, and

We like to be different from most other internet service providers, we provide a rather stunning support system that contains the following,

As most of you know, we have been upgrading all of our control panels to better serve you.

Drgservers.com INC is the first true on-demand hosting solution

I also like:

Comprised of two separate and distinct redundant network architectures,

Saying something when its probably not true is a little off putting.

It was only last week, when their 'redundant network' collapsed and failed.

What other sites have you seen Rich?

You need to fix your site if it's a business and not a hobby

http://www.disturbed-gamerz.com/modernbill/order/orderwiz.php?v=1

[Error 2-22] This license failed to auto-renew and has expired. Please click here to auto-renew your license now.

http://www.dgservers.com/referral.html

Not Found

The requested URL /referral.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Just stated Im in talks to get a new site.

Archived