Upgrading OS

Todd Holley

A few days back I upgraded the RAM on my server 2k3 box from 4 to 8 gigs. Not knowing I needed enterprise for windows to acknowledge I had the ram. Therefore I am going to have to install enterprise, this requires a full format of the hard drive. I was wondering what would be the best way to backup all the userfiles and then move them back after enterprise is installed. Then get everything running back to normal. What would this require or can it be done?

Thanks!

Backup the C:\Program Files\TCAdmin Game Control Panel directory

The C:\GameInstalls directory (if you have any install files there)

The C:\Userfiles directory (if you have any game servers running on that box)

And the C:\Program Files\MYSql\MYSql <version> folder if you are using the MYSql database.

You might have to re-create the website in IIS, I had to migrate a server recently which is essentially the same thing. If in doubt, submit a ticket after you have done your format and reinstalled the enterprise edition, uploaded your backup and got your IIS running again, as you know tcamdin's support is second to none.

If this is on a remote, you can just put in a new HDD, make the original HDD the 2ndary , install the new OS,

then copy all the user files back.

That's what I did on all my remotes when I upgraded to enterprise version of windoz.

Once you get done, you can remove the 2ndary drive, or leave it in.

also, you can export your IIS settings to a text file, then when done, just import them.

It is a remote, and I don't have IIS installed. I was just thinking when i put the backed up TCADMIN folder and USERFILES folder on the server will all the servers and all still be in the services list? I was hoping to upgrade by now but we've been adding to Chicago.

If it's a remote, then all the info is stored in the database on the master.

Nothing really on the remote except the

/User/someusername/GameFiles or whatever your dir structure equates to.

When you put the tcadmin folder + user folder back all should be back to normal. Only thing you might need to change is the IP's if those are changed.

And the monitor.cfg needs to be put back if I recall :)

---

Only reason I mentioned IIS on the remotes, is I run php + some custom scripts for other things on each remote.

You could move the servers off too. Its not too difficult just time consuming. I just had to consolidate and move over servers for the past 12 hours to a new IP get it all working, recreate the services took the longest. Hopefully ou dont have to do that manually... if there is a way to create all the services again that would be good?

Archived