Noob Question...

vinc718

I setup a client with a standard cs 1.6 game server.

What stops them from going into the server.cfg file and adding the following values to make it 1000tick and 500 fps?

sys_ticrate 1000

sv_timeout 90

fps_max 500

sv_maxrate 25000

sv_minrate 4500

sv_maxupdaterate 101

Can I make restrictions somewhere or is this a total noob question?

Please help/clarify.

Thanks!

You can use the map and mod installer in TCAdmin. Just create the popular mods, and have users send in maps that you can put in the TCA.MAPS folder.

Or you can use the force FTP feature and point it to the maps folder. That would allow them access to upload maps.

To answer your next question... we are not adding tickrate checking :)

You can access the machine, and make the server.cfg / other cfg files 'read only'...This will increase your need for support though obviously, as now you'll need to make all changes for your clients.

This would allow them to upload maps though...I believe you could restrict the .cfg extension in from the FTP aswell.

Another option is to make your "boosted" servers on stand-alone machines that use higher timers, and your "non -boosted" on machines that do not use them.

You can't really restrict .cfg if you are running more than one gametype per box, as some games clients will need to access the config files for.

The last option is the best. Seperate the high tick games for the low tick games on different boxes.

Here is a bit of info I found a while back. Running CS 1.6 and COD, or some other Quake based games on the same box cause CS to run at a higher FPS, causing more CPU usage. I think a default CS server will run at 85 FPS if I recall correctly. And that is all without touching anything. Only having COD running on the same box.

i had the same exact problem but i found the perfect solution ;)

FTP ACCESS,

SERVER.CFG access

on the comand line you need this:

+sys_ticrate 100 +alias sys_ticrate wait 100 FPS

+sys_ticrate 256 +alias sys_ticrate wait 250 FPS

+sys_ticrate 512 +alias sys_ticrate wait 512 FPS

it automatically locks the ticrate at the sys_ticrate that you set

have a good day guys:)

I setup a client with a standard cs 1.6 game server.

What stops them from going into the server.cfg file and adding the following values to make it 1000tick and 500 fps?

sys_ticrate 1000

sv_timeout 90

fps_max 500

sv_maxrate 25000

sv_minrate 4500

sv_maxupdaterate 101

Can I make restrictions somewhere or is this a total noob question?

Please help/clarify.

Thanks!

They can add whatever they want but tickrate settings can only be called from the commandline, They cannot be set in a cfg file. Lockdown the commandline editor for that variable and you won't have a problem.

Archived