IP Ban Loop

nosit1

Well, I've been looking in my monitor console, and it keeps listing this

9/1/2007 8:00:51 PM : Ip has been banned for 15 minutes. Too many login attempts
. XX.X.XX.XX

It's my IP being banned, but it's not banning it, and it keeps doing it. What's wrong?

It doesn't prevent me from doing anything though.

If you see this in the console it means that IP has been banned from that server's FTP for 15 minutes. You can still log in to other FTP servers and to the control panel unless you also get banned from there.

If you already had a valid ftp connection before being banned this connection will still be connected. Only the logins are blocked for 15 minutes.

If it's banning your ip it is because you have tried to log in with an incorrect password too many times. If you can still log in after this message is shown it is not banning you. It is probably an automated script searching for open ftp servers.

Make sure you check the ip's. We have this once in awhile with people trying to brute force the TCA logins, because of this we personally set our pw's for users so theyre secure. You'll also notice that cookies play a major role, ive noticed if I login in via the Opera browser, and leave teh controlpanel open, opera keeps connecting to it over and over and over and over and over....I check the monitor and walla banned for 15 minutes x 900. Other browsers works fine, noticed this same thing also logging in via Netscape for Xwindows or lynx for commandline *ix.

Not sure why :) Must be a cookie thing or something.

Archived