TCAdmin's Design Overview Help for New Clients

scso1502

Hello,

I have purchased TCAdmin and I'm slowly coming up to speed with it and how to install it. Installing it requires some dedication and a lot of time. One thing I noticed being asked in the forums here is what type of licenses are needed based upon user needs. The question is answered over and over in many different threads.

I was hoping someone with the knowledge would explain exactly what the overall server layout for TCAdmin is in layman's terms. I'm getting pieces here and there but it's taking forever. If some one would do a sticky post with this info, a lot of people would probably benefit.

Below is what I was hoping to see:

1. What does a Master server do and when is it needed?

2. How important is My Master Server's location? What server should I install it on? Does it have to be on one of the game Servers I plan to lease? Is this good or bad?

3. What does a Remote Server do and when is it needed?

4. What is the database for and what info does it store? How is the info used by TCAdmin? What server uses this info, Master, Remote, or both?

5. What does a Webserver do and when is it needed? What is the Client website for and how does it work?

6. What are the advantages and disavantages of hosting your own TCADMIN website vs paying TCAdmin to host it?

7. Does the location of the database have an effect on it's performance? Should it be on the same machine as the TCAdmin Website, Master Server, both, neither?

8. Explaining this stuff in a post would give people a lot of direction on what they need and how to go about laying out this fantastic system.

Just having these basic questions answered will save a lot of people hours of time and searching.

Thanks for a great product and your time.

Regards,

Mike Vail

1) The master server is the brain of TCAdmin, without it, the remotes are useless.

2) That depends on where your servers are located. If you have servers from coast to coast, I would recommend central U.S. for the location of the server. It is best to have a server just dedicated for the master server because as people navigate their server and perform operations, it may affect the game server performance of clients.

3) A remote server is just the minimum needed to operate and communicate with the master server. It is run on servers other than your master server and has little resource overhead unlike the master server.

4) The database contains the server IP : ports, username and passwords, game server config files, etc

5) The webserver puts the information from the master/remote servers and database into a web browser that a client can navigate to administrate their server.

6) This all comes down to knowledge on web hosting and how much freedom you want.

7) I would put the database on the master server IMO. If the database has to be connected to remotely, it could affect load times.

Hello,

1. What does a Master server do and when is it needed?

2. How important is My Master Server's location? What server should I install it on? Does it have to be on one of the game Servers I plan to lease? Is this good or bad?

3. What does a Remote Server do and when is it needed?

4. What is the database for and what info does it store? How is the info used by TCAdmin? What server uses this info, Master, Remote, or both?

5. What does a Webserver do and when is it needed? What is the Client website for and how does it work?

6. What are the advantages and disavantages of hosting your own TCADMIN website vs paying TCAdmin to host it?

7. Does the location of the database have an effect on it's performance? Should it be on the same machine as the TCAdmin Website, Master Server, both, neither?

8. Expalining this stuff in a post would give people a lot of direction on what they need and how to go about laying out this fantastic system.

Just having these basic questions answered will save a lot of people hours of time and searching.

Thanks for a great product and your time.

Regards,

Mike Vail

Some very good information Vet thanks for your post here... so in addition to those questions which are now answered for me... let me add a couple more...

1) The master server houses all the game files, configs, etc ( if i'm understanding correctly)

2) when installing to another dedicated server (remote or client rented server) does the master server in turn push game files and standard configs to the remote server) and then the client logs into your master server using their name and password to configure their remote box ?

3) if that is the case I would assume then that when setting up a new remote that you would only have to install the TCadmin service ( provided you have purchased the enterprise.

4) would you even need to purchase the license for TCadmin if you rented a machine with TCAdmin from a Enterprise provider ?

I may have further questions than these but that's all I can think of for now ...

Thanks in advance.

A good way to look at it is the Master server is your main server which houses your server files and configs. Your remotes get their files and everything else from the master. Most companies have one master server for this purpose and the other boxes used to host game servers are remotes. You would need a remote license for each extra machine you operate.

If you rent a machine from a provider that bundles a control panel with the offering you generally would not need to purchase a license yourself.

So then based upon what I am assuming here by this thread... If I get the reseller license from an enterprise provider then my licensing fee's are provided in that server license or do I need to buy a remote license for every server that I buy and setup...

Example

1) I buy a reseller license from an enterprise dealer... I start reselling servers

to other people... do I then need a remote license for all of my new clients

or

2) I buy a reseller license from an enterprise dealer... I start reselling servers to other people but I also buy the Enterprise License thereby giving me an unlimited number of licenses to install on customers dedicated servers ?

So if I can can kind of get some of this licensing clarification done then I would appreciate it...

Hello,

Each machine you have would need a separate license. You can get the license from tcadmin direct or purchase the license bundled with a dedicated server by a reseller.

There is no such thing as an enterprise dealer. The enterprise license does not give you rights to sell licenses. It only gives you the ability to host as many game servers as you want and not worry about additional fees. You can only host 10 dedicated servers for clients use with this license though.

I don't know how others do it but with our company if you ordered a dedicated server and opted to have tcadmin installed for you the cost would be included with the server purchase. You wouldn't need to purchase a license as we take care of that for you.

Archived