Lag / pagefile questions

JJFS

Well I have an issue that's already being around for a while with my gameservers having ci's now and then, this is what I have:

- 2 x QuadXeon 5345

- 2 x 2Gb FB-Dimm

- 1 x 80Gb 7200rpm HD (for windows)

- 1 x 150Gb 10.000rpm HD (for gameservers)

I run about 10 COD4 gameservers which are mostly empty but still it happends that we get a little connection interrupted once in a while but the ventrilo doesn't interrupt at that same time which is hosted on the same server.

My pagefile is 4Gb and is located on the 80Gb HD, the memory usage in the task manager is 4.5Gb but what could solve this issue?

- Move the pagefile to the faster HD?

- Upgrade to 8Gb memory and don't use a pgefile?

- Replace the 7200rpm HD for a 10.000rpm?

COD4 servers use a ridiculus amount of memory, the difference between idle (250) and active (350+) can be quite alot. Those numbers I quoted are just what I see on our COD4 servers, your numbers may vary.

As ECF recommended I would go with more RAM. Depending on what your upgrades pathways are, start with adding another 2 GB or just go straight for the kill and double your RAM.

Leave your pagefile as is. See what happens once you have more ram.

The rest of the server sounds very solid.

IDE disks do not support disconnected writes, which is a significant performance bottleneck when you are writing to the disk; only disconnected reads are supported. If you're paging stuff to disk often, sometimes you will see a burp while your controller waits for a free command. Solution: use more memory or turn on "Adavanced Disk Cache" support on your drive in device manager.

-M

IDE disks do not support disconnected writes, which is a significant performance bottleneck when you are writing to the disk; only disconnected reads are supported. If you're paging stuff to disk often, sometimes you will see a burp while your controller waits for a free command. Solution: use more memory or turn on "Adavanced Disk Cache" support on your drive in device manager.

-M

Well the disk are both SATA so I turned it on at the Windows HD, that's the only one needed or do I need to set both to that setting?

Archived