Quad Core

tcngs

Ok this may sound like a realy dumb question, but here it goes.

Lets say just for example that with a dual Xeon 3.0 you get 300 game server slots running on it.

With a dual Quad core 2.4 would you be able to put 600 on that machine?

Thanks

Currently all 17 of my servers are dual Xeon 3.2 and 3.6 servers with 4 to 6 gb of ram, I am looking to start replacing them with dual Quald core servers, but every benchmark that see that compares the 2 does not compare them for game situations.

What game servers are you running on that dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz? I am assuming you are talking about Pentium class Xeons which are the biggest P.O.S. invented.

Also you can't arbitrarily say that a server will hold x players/slots for a server since it depends on the game, mods, fps (for HL and HL2 games), any other programs, etc. If you are trying to compare Pentium class Xeons to a Core 2 based quad core, there is no comparison. The quad cores run circles around older Xeon architecture but to say it would hold x players/slots is 100% guessing.

What game servers are you running on that dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz? I am assuming you are talking about Pentium class Xeons which are the biggest P.O.S. invented.

Also you can't arbitrarily say that a server will hold x players/slots for a server since it depends on the game, mods, fps (for HL and HL2 games), any other programs, etc. If you are trying to compare Pentium class Xeons to a Core 2 based quad core, there is no comparison. The quad cores run circles around older Xeon architecture but to say it would hold x players/slots is 100% guessing.

Couldnt say it better, but if I tried I would add the word flaming to the POS statement :)

Ok thank for the info, witch do you like better the intel quad or the amd phenom?

Asking that questions is bound to start a fist fight in these forums because everyone has their favorite.

I personally like the Quad Core Kentsfields because of cost/performance. I have not seen any real time numbers for Phenoms. Add the fact that the almost all Phenoms on the market are TLB affected and the bios fix severely degrades server performance, it gives me another reason to stay way. AMD just released B3 that has the errata work around built into the CPU so only time will tell.

reference - http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14331

Archived