Quad Core Kentsfield

DaN-O

Hey guys, I just wanted to start out saying that I am new to the forums and everything.

I just ordered a Quad Core Kentsfield 6600 - 4gb of ram - and 160gb hd.

Does anyone know approximatly how many game server slots this box will handle?

And also does anyone have any comments on this box? Is it good or bad, past expierence with it, etc?

The "How many slots can this server run?" question is asked weekly and they get the same answer. It depends on which games you run, any mods, etc. Stock CSS sips server resources but 100 tick, 512 FPS CSS eats CPU. Also add zombie mod with bots and it will eat up even more.

As people have said, The number of slots that it can handle depends on many other factors. mods/maps/tickrate(hl2games) etc

But sure enough you will be able to host quite a few. Its worth never over planning how many, simply install one test it and move to the next. Also remember that a servers usage when the gameservers are empty is totally different to when the become full. So you may be able to get 20 services running when they are all empty but as soon as they fill up Bang! the whole thing wont be able to cope! :)

Archived