Boot ini

Morning folks;

Curious if any-one is using any switches in there boot.ini to force server 03 to reconize over 3 gigs...or has that issue been resolved?

I have a server that if you add over 2 gigs of memory...re: 4 or 8 it runs slower than with 2...I have swapped ram...tried the ram in other servers...and so on... I think I have tried it all...and search the net for awnsers...l...has me completly baffled

Thanks

Dave

Add the /PAE switch and reboot. Put in before the NoExecute switch.

Should look similar to this. .

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /PAE /NoExecute=OptIn

The /3GB switch is not neccesarry

2003 will now recognize more than 2GB if it is standard.

Web Edition 2GB

Standard 4GB

Enterprise 32 Gb

Datacenter Edition 64GB

This switch only allows for it to be seen. If you are running slower you may have a issue elsewhere. That or the ram you added is either slower in bus speed or CAS latency. Make sure all the ram is the same speed and turn off ECC, No error checking correcting or scrubbing. ;)

2003 will now recognize more than 2GB if it is standard.

Web Edition 2GB

Standard 4GB

Enterprise 32 Gb

Datacenter Edition 64GB

Just to expand a little on this Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard 32bit can handle 4gb ram but 64bit can handle up to 32GB ram.

Archived