PLEASE HELp!! - Very very big problems regarding FPS :(

Salmus

Hi,

As you know I host most of the time HLDS servers (CS1.6), and I have some very very big problems using Windows 2003 for my servers:

1. Comparision:

Linux - cs_assault - 30/32 (30 slots occupied) - sys_ticrate 300 -- I have constantly 150-200 fps - ping: 3-4-5-8 - no loss/choke

Windows - cs_assault - 30/32 (30 slots occupied) - sys_ticrate 300 -- I have constantly 70-80 fps - and in worst case 40-45 fps - ping 8-15-25 - loss: 2-3/ 25 choke

Linux server: Intel Xeon Quad Core 3.2 Ghz | 8 GB ECC DDR

Windows server: Intel Xeon Quad Core 3.2 Ghz x 2 | 32 GB ECC DDR

Windows media player oppened, all ok...

Please help !!!

TCADMIN is a great program, but it chouse Windows to operate - windows sucks ... :(((

I tried HLDS ping boosters, everything - no result ....

What can I do ? Please help !

:~

Well first off 32bit Server 2k3 will not manage 32gb of ram, so thats majorly over loaded for the os, windows server 2k3 is a perfectly good solid OS. Ive been running it for along time without any single issue as have many other hosts here.

If you have access to the server try running it with 4GB of ram and see if the performance is still affected. A old machine of mine i had, the performance become absolutely rubbish when i put to much ram in.

If you have it available install 64bit Server2k3 and fully utalise the hardware you got.

Just out of interest, you have dual Quadcore Xeons and 32GB of ram to simply run gaming machines??

Tried already with 4 GB of ram (1 DDR piece) I updated the server after I saw that lantecy & loss are an serious problem - My 1st thought was = insufficient memory.

So I updated it to 32 GB beacouse I want to host alot of gameservers on this machine ... Windows 'see' 32 GB without any problem. All drivers and windows OS updated.

Ohh ... I don't understand a thing ! WHY WHY WHY TCADMIN POWERES THIS DAMN SOFTWARE BY MICROSUCKS :(( In LINUX NEVER EVER had this type of problems - even running with kernel at 100Hz I could get more than 1000 FPS per server without any problems :(

More ideas ? Probably not ... :(

Another problem = HLDS only use CPU0 ! :(

When you run alot of gaming on a single machine - you need power

Well like i said in a previous post, 32bit windows does not manage more than 4gb ram.

Windows is fine, its just gotta be a config or a setting on the server which is causing it to have this reaction. Remember the whole of the TCadmin community run windows and do sucsessfully.

Regarding the other issues i cannot help you with, but i wish you good luck in getting things sorted.

When you run alot of gaming on a single machine - you need power

I can understand that, but i run my servers very differently. I try to keep the number of customers per box down. We run Quadcore Xeons with 4Gb ram and that handles the job more than enough and its cost effective over dual quadcore xeons and 32gbram.

Ok, I tried this already - only with 4 GB ram ...

I will go right now and remove all ram, and I will start only with 4 GB ...

What I have to do to fix this kind of problem ? I already tried this with only 4 GB = same result ! What do YOU use for HLDS to be stable as linux at 300 fps ?

And what to do about CPU consumption ? All servers use only CPU0 !

ME, lol.

I use Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit installed, i then have ping booster running and my gaming servers run a stable 500fps. Not had a problem with CPU consumption either.

Here is a screen shot i just took, all 4 cores seem to be working fine. When i setup a game server i leave the default settings for cpu core. I dont assign the process to anything.

cpu.jpg

This box is currently running, 8x 100Tickrate 500fps servers. (no players currently)

It will never appear the problem when you don't have players, in this moment on my servers I have 1433 HL1 players - on linux (servers running at 300 ticrate) - and only 40 on windows and already have problems ...

ytbr2uf1o9aydasnma2.jpg

Standard features when creating game

I modified of course ... server is not running at 300 ticrate / that's the problem | and only cpu0 is used.

Tried to run multiple programs to increase windows timer, even uTorrent is powered on - it has no torrents on it ...

In the service settings for the games make sure you have not checked every sinle CPU box. Uncheck them all.

If you still have the same problem, check the box marked "Start on CPU0", save and restart the game server.

All cleared, no one is checked...

Setting "Start on CPU0" will not start the game on CPU0 ? Or it will balance ?

LATER EDIT: Tried both ... same result ... CPU0 is overloaded.

I really like your software, but Linux kernel SMP would do that automaticly - no matter if HLDS is not programmed to use multiple processors.

Start on CPU 0 starts the process on CPU 0 and then pushes the load across all CPUs.

I would suggest setting all your server like this if you are having an issue. And also try leveing it unchecked as well as the CPUs unchecked. You may wish to restart the box in between these changes.

If you are so hell bent on Linux then you may wish to go to another panel that supports it?

I know it works as we have many many clients running CS and CSS under TCAdmin.

"Start on CPU0" option, solved the problem (I think ...)

4t32vwaprlzpoecqbp.jpg

It seems to work good.

No more loss for moment ....

Thank you very much !

Archived