Cogent Peering Issues

AvailNetworks

if anyone has been getting support requests about missing websites, not able to connect or general internet congestion, please read the statement below!

Cogent Network Status/DNS Server Status Description:

Date: 10/05/2005

Level 3 has partitioned its part of the Internet from Cogent's part of the Internet by denying Level 3's

customers access to Cogent's customers and denying Cogent's customers access to Level 3 customers. Level 3

terminated its peering with Cogent without cause (as permitted under its peering agreement with Cogent)

even though both Cogent and Level 3 remained in full compliance with the previously existing interconnection

agreement.

Many Level 3 customers can still exchange traffic with Cogent customers because the Level 3 customer is multi-

homed, i.e. it also has a connection to Cogent or to one of the many other networks with which Cogent has a

peering relationship. As described below Cogent is offering a solution to Level 3 customers that are not multi-homed.

Cogent will offer any Level 3 customer, who is single homed to the Level 3 network as of October 5, 2005,

one year of full Internet transit free of charge at the same bandwidth currently being supplied by Level 3.

Cogent will provide this connectivity in over 1,000 locations throughout North America and Europe.

Cogent is committed to an open Internet. The existing interconnection facilities between Level 3 and Cogent

remain intact. Cogent hopes that Level 3 will reactivate these connections, restoring a full level of service

to their customers.

For more information on Cogent's offer of free Internet transit, please call:

NORTH AMERICA: 1-877-875-4432

EUROPE: +33 (0)1 49 03 19 30

We don't have any of that network do we Reed?

Bill

if anyone has been getting support requests about missing websites, not able to connect or general internet congestion, please read the statement below!

Cogent Network Status/DNS Server Status Description:

Date: 10/05/2005

Level 3 has partitioned its part of the Internet from Cogent's part of the Internet by denying Level 3's

customers access to Cogent's customers and denying Cogent's customers access to Level 3 customers. Level 3

terminated its peering with Cogent without cause (as permitted under its peering agreement with Cogent)

even though both Cogent and Level 3 remained in full compliance with the previously existing interconnection

agreement.

Many Level 3 customers can still exchange traffic with Cogent customers because the Level 3 customer is multi-

homed, i.e. it also has a connection to Cogent or to one of the many other networks with which Cogent has a

peering relationship. As described below Cogent is offering a solution to Level 3 customers that are not multi-homed.

Cogent will offer any Level 3 customer, who is single homed to the Level 3 network as of October 5, 2005,

one year of full Internet transit free of charge at the same bandwidth currently being supplied by Level 3.

Cogent will provide this connectivity in over 1,000 locations throughout North America and Europe.

Cogent is committed to an open Internet. The existing interconnection facilities between Level 3 and Cogent

remain intact. Cogent hopes that Level 3 will reactivate these connections, restoring a full level of service

to their customers.

For more information on Cogent's offer of free Internet transit, please call:

NORTH AMERICA: 1-877-875-4432

EUROPE: +33 (0)1 49 03 19 30

nope your on savvis. Most gameservers should not see a problem as they do not run on cogent networks (thank god), my gameservers in Chicago run on level3 and everything seems well and good. I have had some of my shared hosting clients wondering why they cannot get to other websites and unfortunately I cannot help them. It is cogent customers that are really taking the hit from the sounds of it. All my networks run off of savvis/level3 or internap. Voice, data, dedicated, game, shared hosting are all off of savvis. Funny thing is I was actually thinking of colocating another cheap server to use for my redirect services with cogent....the search continues!

• 4 weeks later...

At least part of the issue not withstanding the Cogent/L3 wars is Level3 likes to do system wide software upgrades out of the blue without notifying anyone.. We purchase bandwidth directly through L3 in at least one location and would have assumed an email or some kind of announcment would have been in order..That's a nice way to treat paying customers L3..

Luckily we also pull in a few other carriers so it didn't impact enough where anyone really noticed.

Archived