Far Cry 2 Config?

globel

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is what I have found so far.

I have successfully run a dedicated server from the full retail install on one of our 2003 boxes. It worked flawlessly....ran well and was full in about 5 mins.

That being said, I have not been able to run a dedi through a tca install. This is one of those stupid games that puts files in the My Documents folder and I cannot find a way to have it look elsewhere for the server configs.

There are next to no config files. There is no command line information anywhere I can find. Ubi hasn't deemed me worthy of a reply as of yet.

Seems to me that all we need as GSP's is a way to make it look at;

server.cfg, server.xml, gamerprofile.xml

The gamerprofile.xml is what defines the path for the server.xml but cannot find a way to define the path for gamerprofile.xml.... I have tried various command lines....This game is supposed to be real similar to crysis warhead....but have not found anything from that, that helps.

So, I do believe we are at the mercy of UBI for the time being....

Anyone has any suggestions I am all ears....

The CPU usage for this game is ridiculous. It uses a whole CPU core at idle. Basically not worth hosting commercially, even if we did have some way to control it, which we don't.

Is it just me, or are game companies just getting more and more stupid with every game they put out? They are going backwards. I guess this is the bane of the consoles. They don't give an F about PCs anymore.

Good job UBI, I give you the finger!

I just looked at one GSP who had it on their site originally for $1.49, now it is at $8.00

Hope they did not sell too many pre-orders at the original price :)

Thats becasue it uses about 30-50% cpu on a dual core and only binds to one IP. I made a comment to one of my co-workers on this the other day and said it's gonna be a 8-10 dollar a slot game. LOL That pretty much made up my mind not to offer it until they fix it.

Another reason we do not take pre-orders for a game.

I went so far as to rip the server launcher exe apart and found that it creates a startserver.bat that it uses to fire the FC.exe but I can't find the damn thing. It must be making it in memory and then dumping it after the game fires up. If anyone can find that bat file it makes upon execution it will probably have the command-line in it.

Edited by HIS-MOTHER

Looks like you may be able to toggle the ports in the gameprofile.xml located in my documents, assuming you can run 2 of these bad boys on a single machine.

You could probably run two (Putting aside the horrendous CPU requirement) by running one with Administrator rights and leaving one on the LocalService (default service account) account, considering it will have it's own files in /Administrator/My Documents and also in /Default User/My Documents....

But then again, you could run like what, 2-3 servers per machine? :S

wow ubisoft sucks. i just spent like 5 hours on the net and found out how to get the server up and everything BUT its such a resource hog i cant really sell it...

im charging $2 a slot a month with a 16 slot minimum and limited quantities.

At least ill have business from them when/IF ubi makes a fix for the server

I went so far as to rip the server launcher exe apart and found that it creates a startserver.bat that it uses to fire the FC.exe but I can't find the damn thing. It must be making it in memory and then dumping it after the game fires up. If anyone can find that bat file it makes upon execution it will probably have the command-line in it.

I did a check on all the files accessed when starting up the server and startserver.bat is nowhere to be found. Probably in memory only like you said.

Why they would try to hide the command line from everyone is a mystery, what is the point of doing that? Do they want their game to have zero servers? Morons.

Edited by nhouck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use