You have evidence of that ?

If you are going to rent anyway always read the TOS thats all i'll say

Either way WHT is good place to start

The evidence speaks for itself:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=696677

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=698924

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=700690

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=698122

Don't want to get anymore off topic than that.

In regards to the OP: the server specs you mentioned can be found at many different providers. I am sure if you want an opinion on one of them that the collective knowledge here could give you an idea of whats what.

Al right guys (and ladies) Thank you a lot for the links and suggestions i was a customer for the planet but they raised there rates as well, Ill be looking on webhosttalk to find some good things. Ill post them back here for you all to peek at and see weather its good or not. Thanks again.

The cheapest way to go is to build your own dedicated server and Colo it. You can build a Dual Quad Core server with eight gigs of ram and two 500 gig HDs for $1400.

Over the average lifespan of the server (5 years) that comes out to about $23 a month. You can Colo the server for another $100 a month, which brings the monthly bill for a Dual Quad Core system to $123. There are a few other expenses you have to factor in such as maintenance fees and replacement parts.

If you use a 15% model, which is what we use, that will bring your monthly expense per server to somewhere around $141 per month per server. Renting the same system is going to cost you $400 or more. In a five-year period, that is $24,000. You can save around $15,000 by building it yourself. That is a $3000 saving per server per year. Multiply that by 15, or however many servers you plan to deploy, and that is a $45,000 savings per year.

Do not confuse this with your net income for the servers this is just an estimate in cost savings. Your net income per server will vary based on price per slot but even at $1.00 a slot, you can turn a $350 net from each server. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make a profit at $1.00 a slot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree that the life span of hardware in this industry is 5 years. I'd say the real number is perhaps closer to 3. Maybe less if you're in a high performance niche.

You're also not going to find real quality colo with enough bandwidth to fill a Dual Quad box for $100 per month. At least not from anyone who is the business of making money. At the same time most hosts can rent you a Dual Quad machine for $250-$300 per month, not $400+.

Just food for thought.

if you are wanting a server at a low price you wont be getting a whole lot of power. that being said, running dedicated servers typically wont take that much power unless you mod the hell out of them. i would highly recommend colocrossing.com

i have been with them for quite some time now, and while they can be a bit stubborn at times, there services are phenomenal. They are definitely worth the cash if you are looking for a US area server (i dont think they do UK, but im not entirely sure on that one). i can think of 3 different server providers that go thru them off the top of my head.

Archived