How to set up a gameserver?

citricsquid

I've done a bit of searching here and I can't find anything, which seems strange so I presume I've missed something. Can anyone link me to any sort of "Tutorials" or "Explanations" of how to set up a gameserver and where to acquire the files needed? I'm interested in running a gameserver for myself from a dedicated, however I can for the life of me find any help or explanations.

Anything would be appreciated, thankyou :D

Game set-ups vary from Title to Title. What game are you trying to set-up?

Depends, I presumed there would be a "General way" that applied loosely to all games, but varied slightly depending upon the game? I'm interested mainly in "Call of duty 1" and "Left 4 dead". I know steam provides a L4D dedicated server file, but I don't know if that would run from linux? Would I need Windows?

L4D is vailable through steam for linux and windows (although I have my doubts as to whether you are technically inclined enough to handle a linux game server).

COD1 yu would need to purchase the game and then upload a copy of the files after you installed it, as the server files are only included with the game.

No there is no general set of instructions for game server setup, there are way to many differences.

L4D is vailable through steam for linux and windows (although I have my doubts as to whether you are technically inclined enough to handle a linux game server).

COD1 yu would need to purchase the game and then upload a copy of the files after you installed it, as the server files are only included with the game.

No there is no general set of instructions for game server setup, there are way to many differences.

I've handled a linux dedi before, but I've never wandered into the realm of game servers, sorry if I come across as clueless, I'm tired :p If I were to be setting up a CoD gameserver, by uploading the files, Would I need to remote desktop in to set it up, or is it possible via command line? Also, CoD is a windows game (.exes?) how would I run it from Linux?

Seting up a Linux COD1 server

There are two different server packages...a "small" and "large" version. The size difference is because small version requires a program named xdelta. The xdelta program is shipped with many Linux distros, and can be found here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/xdelta/

The large version doesn't need xdelta.

1. Get the retail Call of Duty discs.

2. Copy the contents of Disc One's "Setup/Data" directory to wherever you installed the Call of Duty Linux server. There should be a "localization.txt" file in the root of this directory, and a "main" subdirectory).

3. Copy the contents of Disc Two's "Setup/Data" directory to your server (should be just a "main" directory...add it to the contents of the previous disc's "main").

4. Alternately, you may install on Windows® and copy the installed game to your Linux system, but many will opt to skip this step since the data files are uncompressed and easily accessible on the discs. Final installation size is around 1.2 gigabytes.

5. Unpack this archive in the root of the newly-copied tree, so "cod_lnxded" is in the same directory as "localization.txt" and "game.mp.i386.so" is in the "main" directory, etc. This may overwrite some files; this is normal.

6 (If you have the "large" package, skip this step.) If you have the "small" package, you now need to patch some files. The command line looks something like:

cd /where/i/copied/callofduty

xdelta patch pak0.pk3.xdelta main/pak0.pk3 tmp.bin

mv tmp.bin main/pak0.pk3

...if this doesn't work, you should get the "large" package and unpack it like you did the small package, and it'll give you the same results. Either way, it's now safe to delete the pak0.pk3.xdelta file.

7. Now, run the server:

cd /where/i/copied/callofduty

./cod_lnxded

8. When you see "Started tty console (use +set ttycon 0 to disable)", the server has started, but you need to start a map before the server will accept connections. At this point, type:

map mp_chateau

("mp_chateau" being a given map's name).

Now you should see your server in the in-game browser. You will now want to customize your server, but that is beyond the scope of this document.

Archived