Question About Server!

KP-Dallas

They're no-brand/whiteboxes/custom made since they contain parts from different companies (Intel, AMD, SuperMicro, Western Digital, etc). If we were buying directly from Dell or HP, then we could say Poweredge 2100 and such. Hope that explains it.

One thing that most people are forgetting is a support plan. Yes, you can save $$$ by building a custom box but what happens when you power supply dies or some other component fails? With a box from Dell Samll Business you get a same day service plan which includes the part or parts to fix the issue and the tech will go right to the datacenter and fix it.

Now with your custom built box you need to send the part to them and then pay the DC to install it at an hourly rate.

Not to say building your own boxes is bad, but just some food for thought.

My Question Is Why Dont,No GSP(Or Atleast None I Found) Use HP Servers Most Use Dell.........

Here Is One Im Looking To Buy

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-3328412-241644-241475-1121516-3638202-3638203.html

Its A Quad-Core Intel® "Harpertown" Xeon® X5460

For $5,579, The price of the system above I will build you two systems with the following specs

1U supermicro case 300w PS Hot swap Harddrive bays and slim DVD

Two Harpertown 5410 quad core CPUs

12 Gigs Ram

Two SATA HDs 500 Gigs 7200 rpm

Two Embedded Gigabit Server Adapters

Free Shipping to your home or business

All you have to do is install the Operating System

One thing that most people are forgetting is a support plan. Yes, you can save $$$ by building a custom box but what happens when you power supply dies or some other component fails? With a box from Dell Samll Business you get a same day service plan which includes the part or parts to fix the issue and the tech will go right to the datacenter and fix it.

Now with your custom built box you need to send the part to them and then pay the DC to install it at an hourly rate.

Definitely a valid point if you are only dealing with remote datacenters, why I try and have staff near as many of our datacenters as possible ;) You can also look into hot spares once you start having extra space (IE renting ¼, ½,or full racks) hot spares our servers missing the most expensive and/or most easily swapped components. We have one setup that only needs HD as it is faster to pull the hard drives and throw them in the new machine then conduct the full diagnoses and repair, then letting us find the problem and fix it at our leisure.

The hot spare can also just be a compact way of storing cheaper spare parts vs. having to overnight them to the datacenter when you don’t live next to it.

ECF has a valid point, you need to do a cost analysis and determine which option is best for you.

We have had components fail, things like that happen. The last failure we experienced was a HD. The drive cost $49.99 to replace. $22.99 to overnight ship, and $79 tech support time to replace. Total down time was less than 24 hours and total cost was $151.98

That cost is only a fraction of the savings we received by building the server vs. buying a prebuilt.

We buy all of our servers direct from Dell, and there are reasons behind this.

We contacted both Dell & HP regarding a big new order we wanted to place around 15 months ago, for the same spec'd hardware and support plans. Dell came back to us with a much more advertising discount sceme and also came back to us much quicker than HP regarding the order.

Time is everything within our business. Time saved not building new servers is time we can offer customers and time we can work on improving services hence buying pre-built. We also have the servers built to our exact spec, dont just go by whats offered on the websites they can customise any aspect of the server to suit your needs.

Like mentioned we also have a service plan in place, to us having a hard-drive fail on a customer machine and waiting 24/48 hours is not acceptable. We have same day parts on all servers (we also stock spares, just incase).

We also have regular meetings with Dell regarding the business future, we talk about the plans and how things are going and they help us strenghen our business plan and offer us new solutions and support.

We dont buy Dell for the name, we buy Dell for the overall package we recieve and to date it has been a very good package and has helped our business grow stronger.

I do understand why people build there own kit, and tbh if Dell or HP hadnt had offered us a good deal it would have been a route i would have looked at. But its worth making the call to find out what they can offer you.

Dell can also provide very interesting prices, for example i recently purchased a Dell PE2950 III, totally spec'd up. Website cost was over £3500, i payed sub £1500. There is also best times to buy with Dell, such as there 1/4 End as they will give very generous discounts to get new sales also end of year is a great time to buy.

Regards

We're using both: Q6600, Intel MB, Supermicro and HP servers.

Usually for big servers we're using HP and it's near same price than Supermicro systems but with great support and integrated IPMI (and i dont like spending my time searching compatible memory for Supermicro mb, HP is selling me what i need)

Archived