Someone tell me if im wrong but...

Daersun

Are you confusing CS and CS:S ;)

CS can be tweeked so you get upto 1000 fps, but from my experiance not very stable. This is set by playing with the Hz that the kernal on linux operates at. Massive CPU usage.

CS:S gave you the command line option for Tickrate >100. again tho massive CPU usage for a 100 tick server and not very stable.

That link is for a CS1.6 Server running at 700 .... dont confuse the way that CS and CSS work they are 2 different engines.

With CS:S there isn't much point going all the way to 100, here's why:

Tickrate 33 = game updates every 0.03 seconds

Tickrate 66 = game updates every 0.015 seconds

Tickrate 100 = game updates every 0.01 seconds

So tickrate 100 only reduces the time between game frames by 5 milliseconds, at in increased cpu cost of about 100%

I seem to recall from the server mailing list that valve do not recommend going over 100 as things start to go funny (they didn't specify what though).

We see 60-70% CPU usage for 100 tick CS:S server on our AMD64 3200+.

It's been kicked around forever if raising the tickrate is a benefit or not.. I believe it is to a certain extent but for the most part it's more or less a gimmic.. Raising it a little can be effective but you have to stop and ask your self can your eyes register the difference between 0.01 and 0.03? Most gamers won't know the difference.. But telling everyone that they have a xxx tickrate server is more important to them so if anything it's something that has a financial benefit ;)

It's been kicked around forever if raising the tickrate is a benefit or not.. I believe it is to a certain extent but for the most part it's more or less a gimmic.. Raising it a little can be effective but you have to stop and ask your self can your eyes register the difference between 0.01 and 0.03? Most gamers won't know the difference.. But telling everyone that they have a xxx tickrate server is more important to them so if anything it's something that has a financial benefit ;)

Is the right answer!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived