CoD:WaW server starts, but Game server is not responding

LeViaTHaN

Hi there. I didn't particularly want to resort to forums for my answers, thats what support tickets are for. I have submitted a ticket, but I still have not had a response. I am desperate. The rental of the servers we are on are about to run out, and we have COD 4 servers running already, and are TRYING to get COD: WaW working.

We have installed TCAdmin on a dedicated server in a datacenter, running server 2003. Fully patched. Latest Directx 9 & 10 updates. I even installed the Directx9 from the dvd just to be sure.

Before you ask, Yes, we own it. Retail DVD.

Problem is, We have installed configs from these forums, and created a new service.

http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/showthread.php?t=4545&highlight=codWaW

and

http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/showthread.php?t=4556&highlight=waw

They both install beautifully. Full credits to the authors.

We create a new service, fill in all the details, and the service appears in the Gaming Services section.

Start the service, and we get this:

Connection Info:

******:28960

FTP:

******:21

Running [More Info]

Action:

Stop Restart

So far so good. Now click "more info", and you see this:

General Information

Connection Info: ******:28960

Slots: 32

Private: False

Owner: ADMIN

Server: ******

Game: COD:WaW

Mod: None

Update: None

Startup Type: Automatic

Resource Usage

Process Id: 3464

CPU Usage: 0

Memory Usage: 0 Bytes

Disk Usage: 5.33 GB

Start Time: 1/28/2009 1:14:41 AM

Times Crashed/Not Responding: 0

Last Restart:

Query Status

Hostname: Game server is not responding

Max Players:

Players:

Private:

Now, of course, we tested it, and it definitely does not work.

Now here's a twist. We check the windows services, and it has definitely started as a service - It just doesn't work.

Another twist - I created a batch file - runserver.bat, containing this:

(I did *** the ip and dir's out on purpose btw)

CoDWaWmp.exe +set fs_savepath C:\***\***.100.7.179 port 28960\ +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip ***.100.7.179 +set net_port 28960 +set sv_maxclients 24 +set sv_punkbuster "1" +exec server.cfg +map_rotate

I placed this in the root of the C:\***\***.100.7.179 port 28960 directory and made a shortcut on the desktop.

I ran the shortcut, and the server started.

We tested it, and it worked. It even showed up in:

Query Status

Hostname: "^1******* ^3FFA H/C"

Max Players: 24

Players:

Private:

I've tried getting TCAdmin to just run the .bat file, and it won't do that either.

We have also disabled the windows firewall completely, and forwarded just about every port I've found for WaW in the router.

We have the lastest version of TCAdmin, and we bought a key yesterday.

I'm at wits end. We tried for 10 hours yesterday, and 4 hours today.

Are we missing something ?

The COD 4 servers have worked great from the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

What is this location?

fs_savepath C:\***\***.

Is this the game installs folder/userid/tcadminserviceID? Most likely you wont see codWaW running in the task manager as it is probably not firing up the exe. Make sure your directory structure is correct and that tcadmin knows where to find that exe.

TCADMIN can say in Green running when in fact it is not. That just means the service has been started but the exe may not be. You need to check the task manager.

What is this location?

fs_savepath C:\***\***.

I've just blanked the c:\servername\gameroot

Is this the game installs folder/userid/tcadminserviceID? Most likely you wont see codWaW running in the task manager as it is probably not firing up the exe. Make sure your directory structure is correct and that tcadmin knows where to find that exe.

When I set up a new service, It's set up exactly the same, as if I was running COD4. As the file structure is the same, the set up is the same. All thats really changed is the executable filename. I am using those configs as a base to work from though.

TCADMIN can say in Green running when in fact it is not. That just means the service has been started but the exe may not be. You need to check the task manager.

As far as I know, it isn't starting the exe.

Question is, if it's set up according to the same as a COD4 server (obviously using cod5 configs), and the change of the filename, what can really go wrong to make it "not start" ?

Maybe TCadmin isnt forwarding the correct information to start the server.

Here is the command line in our setup

+set fs_savepath %userfilespath% +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip %serverip% +set net_port %serverport% +set sv_maxclients %slots% +set sv_punkbuster "1" +exec server.cfg +map_rotate

Theoretically, it should pull all those stats from TCAdmin, yes ?

What is the full path? I am guessing the path is incorrect. If tcadmin knows where the exe is and the exe name is correct in the config it will fire up, or atleast loop in the task manager.

The path should look similar to this

C:\ClientInstalls\username\GameServers\TC76116100525504283534086

This would be Gameserver root where the exe is. Double check the games config file and ensure the exe name is correct and the path to it is correct

Which is just

CoDWaWmp.exe

Also make sure your install files are zipped properlly meaning that you just zipped up all the files themself and did not zip up the install folder. If they are not zipped properly the directory structure changes.

When you setup all you the Support Games area. did you click browse or did you just type in the address.

This ensures that you picked the right path to the EXE and the %userfilespath%

We have tried both, and neither way worked.

I also tried modifying the config and typing in the address manually, not relying on TCADMIN to pass on the information.

Which, of course, still didn't work.

What is the full path? I am guessing the path is incorrect. If tcadmin knows where the exe is and the exe name is correct in the config it will fire up, or atleast loop in the task manager.

The path should look similar to this

C:\ClientInstalls\username\GameServers\TC76116100525504283534086

The root of our server is c:\

the root of the game directory path is:

C:\EDA\GAME1

C:\EDA\GAME2

C:\EDA\GAME3

This would be Gameserver root where the exe is. Double check the games config file and ensure the exe name is correct and the path to it is correct

Which is just

CoDWaWmp.exe

Sure is. Exe is located at C:\EDA\GAME3\CoDWaWmp.exe

Entire directory structure is the same as my local install.

Like I said before, The game itself works fine, via the shortcut on the remote desktop.

Also make sure your install files are zipped properlly meaning that you just zipped up all the files themself and did not zip up the install folder. If they are not zipped properly the directory structure changes.

Zipped ? We haven't zipped the games onto the server, we've literally copied the files across via ftp, and re-distributed them back into base directories.

The files that are currently installed on my pc here, are in c:\games\Call of Duty - World at War

This same directory is located on the server at c:\EDA\GAME3

COD4 is installed at both C:\EDA\GAME1 and C:\EDA\GAME2

ok, problem solved. The service requires "admin" permissions in services. This can be achieved by going to control panel\administrative tools\services. Find the service, and right click\properties. Under the "Log on" tab, select "use login: type your administrators username and password. Apply\ok & restart server.

All worked :-)

• 5 months later...

Hello there. I have the same problem exactly. The only difference is that giving admin permission to the service did now work. This is the same service that runs my CoD, CoDUO, and CoD4 servers without a problem.

I see the service starting in the taskmanager and the the services tab in admin tools.

I can run the server from a shortcut on the desktop with out a problem.

The root is:

C:\UserFiles\blahblah\GameServers\blahblah

The exe points to:

C:\UserFiles\blahblah\GameServers\blahblah\CoDWaWmp.exe

This is pretty much a stock install. I only started having this problem after a recent reboot of the server. It worked without a problem before the reboot. I'm at the end of my rope now i'm hoping a fresh set of eyes can point me right direction. Thanks.....

check that your command line is properly interpretated by TCA

lately I had a problem with a server and figured out that a variable was not assigned a value i.e. the %userfilespath% was not assigned the value "C:/blablabla" it was just still considered as %userfilespath% and a folder named %userfilespath% was created on server (thats how I figured where the problem was coming from).

I got no idea hows that, I just created a custom command line (exactly the same as the non working one) and it worked again.

Idk if thats ur issue but deserves to be checked since I had same symptoms (server running fine from desktop but not with TCA, service started etc).

Archived