Which Windows OS Shall i buy?

maksam

Well my server is a

Quad Core Xeon X3360 2.83GHz,

4GB RAM

2x 160GB SATA Raid 1

Now im guessing a Windows Server 2003 "Standard Edition" should be suffice? @ 32bit or 64bit?

Going for a 32bit wouldnt make a big difference would it on the above server specs or would it?

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 :)

Seriously, if you are sticking with 4GB ram, then you might as well stick with 32bit as it supports 4GB max. More software is compatible with 32bit as well.

If you think you might add more ram later, then you will need to go for 64bit.

32bit would slightly limit the memory, I would recommend 64 bit for the spec above.

Ive looked it up and it states that the Standard edition covers 4gb? Or could that be misleading?

Its said the 64bit is for addressing up to 32 GB of RAM and it also supports Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA), something the 32-bit version does not do.

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 :)

Seriously, if you are sticking with 4GB ram, then you might as well stick with 32bit as it supports 4GB max. More software is compatible with 32bit as well.

If you think you might add more ram later, then you will need to go for 64bit.

I see.

What about Enterprise, i see a lot of people with that.. but thats not necessary is it?

Just go with Standard X64 :) It will do all you need it to do

Ive looked around, the Enterprise version is too expensive. I think i'll be sticking with a Standard Version. However some have mentioned that 32bit will only allow me to use 3.x gb of ram out of the whole 4gb of ram.

Will 64bit allow me to use the entire 4gb ram?

Ive been looking around and may go for an OEM version, as for 32bit and 64bit quite a few sites dont mention anything like this other than its "Standard Edition", should i assume that the "Standard Editions" come 32bit by default?

Ive also noticed some have "5 CAL's"+ etc im assuming thats the number of licenses that come with it? I just require 1 at the moment and ive stumbled across ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/53545 - (Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - Licence - 5 device CALs - OEM - English)

Microsoft http://www.ebuyer.com/product/90972 - (Microsoft Windows Server CAL 2003 OEM 1 Client Device CAL)

I know its OEM but the prices seem to be ridiculously cheap.. im more enclined to go with the latter, i cant see anything to be wrong with any of them other than the first one contains more licenses. - Would i be right?

Cheers

If you are going to be hosting commercially, you will need to purchase your OS thru Microsoft's SPLA program.

I see this statement over and over again, but despite reading through the perpetual license terms numerous times I could never find anything to back it up. (unless your hosting dedicated or private servers where in you are renting out Microsoft’s software to consumers) and a lengthy phone call with Microsoft never produced anything other then them trying to state financial reasons to go with SPLA. If you ask generically they say you need to use the SPLA but when asked them to provide information on the limits in the perpetual that prevent its use they just steer into talking about the cost of a perpetual license vs. SPLA.

BUT be careful maksam, I don't think either of those auctions you posted are perpetual licenses. They are CALs which are an addon so to speak to a perpetual license. Personally I would go directly to Microsoft if you want a perpetual license as there are many scams on ebay and the rest of the internet through carful wording (so they are technically legit) to outright fakes. And Microsoft won't compensate you for a fake, or for buying the wrong product. Also while 2003 is still a viable OS, it is reaching the end of its life and real perpetual licenses cost a pretty penny so you’d probably be better off with 2008 for perpetual license so you can get your use out of it.

I see this statement over and over again, but despite reading through the perpetual license terms numerous times I could never find anything to back it up. (unless your hosting dedicated or private servers where in you are renting out Microsoft’s software to consumers) and a lengthy phone call with Microsoft never produced anything other then them trying to state financial reasons to go with SPLA. If you ask generically they say you need to use the SPLA but when asked them to provide information on the limits in the perpetual that prevent its use they just steer into talking about the cost of a perpetual license vs. SPLA.

BUT be careful maksam, I don't think either of those auctions you posted are perpetual licenses. They are CALs which are an addon so to speak to a perpetual license. Personally I would go directly to Microsoft if you want a perpetual license as there are many scams on ebay and the rest of the internet through carful wording (so they are technically legit) to outright fakes. And Microsoft won't compensate you for a fake, or for buying the wrong product. Also while 2003 is still a viable OS, it is reaching the end of its life and real perpetual licenses cost a pretty penny so you’d probably be better off with 2008 for perpetual license so you can get your use out of it.

Cheers for that.

As for SPLA i dont think i will go commercial. Im going to use the server for myself solely and if things go smooth after renting out to friends and family I may go commercial.

If thats the case id like to see how many GSP's have an SPLA license, - i doubt many will. Ive looked up SPLA and its a headache tbh. You need to be registered and a partner of MS and then you need to give them monthly sales stats etc.

However if you are making Zero and its been Zero for 6 months then MS revoke your SPLA license = no point getting it in the first place.

Ive looked it up and it states that the Standard edition covers 4gb? Or could that be misleading?

Its said the 64bit is for addressing up to 32 GB of RAM and it also supports Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA), something the 32-bit version does not do.

32 Bit std supports slightly under 4GB of RAM :)

Archived