GSP Graveyard

JasonF

I know several younger GSP owners doing well but honestly it's very hard to run a business when your not doing it 1/2 the day.

Really like ?

On a side note stop kidding yourself you know you spend 3/4 of your day working on defcon.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know several younger GSP owners doing well but honestly it's very hard to run a business when your not doing it 1/2 the day.

I remember the days where I could sleep in on the weekends. Those bit the dust 2 years ago ;)

Well, i am still at school..

Need to do 1 year of learning-work (cant remember the english word for it.. stage?)

I could do it after that?

internship

if you start a GSP you need to work 24/7 or at least be able to do it.

I got a few "ok" days during which I dont have much work but when u got issues on a server / machine or gota make an intervention you will mostly work on it at night when every1 is sleeping (ie after 3 or even 4 am) to not affect players gaming. And its a stressfull job due to the fact its ur business, when something goes wrong you need to figure out solution asap else ur whole business can be affected.

After few months once you faced some major problems and figured out how to solve them you can have a lil more rest, at least you can start thinking about anything else than ue business 24/7 :)

Post above is true.

I am not too long in GSP bussiness but it is going pretty nice for me now.

If you have issue on one or few game servers, you must think quickly and find solution, till now i had very little "duplicated" issues.

Your client dont understand it is hard work, he payed for his game server and he wants it to run good and smoothly.

Angry customer is not god, actually it is worst advertisement that you can get....

After good server quality, support is most important thing in whole story about being good GSP.

That is way I think..

Must be summer time !?

Must be people the order, and require upgrades to handle the load, and have no intentions of keeping their orders for more than a month. That and AA freaking sucks. :)

O well life is to short to stress over the small shit. Going to be a very nice break not having to deal with idiots all day long. o and the spies half of y'all use.

• 2 weeks later...

After good server quality, support is most important thing in whole story about being good GSP.

That is way I think..

In a service related industry such as this support will often make or break the company. Having 24/7 support is not the solution. Having a quality support team that treats the customer with respect and understands their needs is far more important.

Having 24/7 support is not the solution.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion although in a GLOBAL/International market that model wont work.

you need 24/7 and good relations.

A customer doesnt want to submit a ticket and wait 5-7hours for a response when its 5pm there time and 3am ours.

We have locations that are 15 to 17 hours ahead of us.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion although in a GLOBAL/International market that model wont work.

you need 24/7 and good relations.

A customer doesnt want to submit a ticket and wait 5-7hours for a response when its 5pm there time and 3am ours.

We have locations that are 15 to 17 hours ahead of us.

So true..

+1

A great company is one where you can have that 24/7 Support, as well as the support to actually be able to solve the problems. If you have to pick one or the other, the better company will obviously be the one that can solve problems... even if it is 5 hours later.

Heck, then you can find the bad companies which take 5-7 hours for a response AND it takes the client a good 2 hours to tell them the problem... those are the bad businesses IMO

I'd rather wait 4-5 hours and get $hit done, than sit around describing a simple fix (that you know how to fix, but you can't because you aren't physically there) then have that 24/7 useless help

24/7 my @$$

Let me tell you a little story about a company that rents dedicated servers and offers 27/7 support. This is not a small company and at the time I think we were paying $350 a month for the server. I won't get ugly and name the company but they do post often in the TCAdmin forums. I rented a dedicated server from them which I used to run our Clan games and my online embroidery business.

The server went down three times in a very short period. I submitted a support ticket and received a quick response to the ticket but not a quick solution to the problem. At the time this company offered Plesk as a control panel and they were having quite a few issues with it.

After the server had been down for several days I called to complain. The response I received from the technician working on the issue was "I think it would be better for both of us if you just took your business somewhere else." I was shocked at the response and after making arraignments with another company I took his advice and moved.

The thing that we do which works great and makes the customers happy is we do not have 24/7 tech support but we do have people on the east coast, west coast, and Hawaii. This means that our livehelp desk is manned most of the day and tickets are typically answered within an hour of receipt. 3 of the employees know how to operate our systems pretty well and can assist with basic issues. If they come across something they cant figure out, they tell the customer they dont know the answer and are escalating it to a senior tech, they then forward the ticket to our senior tech desk and call us all to let us know of the ticket. Most customers are happy with this because we ensure that we always follow up and this also buys us another 6 - 12 hours before the customer starts getting upset. This in my opinion is smart customer service because we keep our customers happy and they always have great things to say about our service.

Let me tell you a little story about a company that rents dedicated servers and offers 27/7 support. This is not a small company and at the time I think we were paying $350 a month for the server. I won't get ugly and name the company but they do post often in the TCAdmin forums. I rented a dedicated server from them which I used to run our Clan games and my online embroidery business.

The server went down three times in a very short period. I submitted a support ticket and received a quick response to the ticket but not a quick solution to the problem. At the time this company offered Plesk as a control panel and they were having quite a few issues with it.

After the server had been down for several days I called to complain. The response I received from the technician working on the issue was "I think it would be better for both of us if you just took your business somewhere else." I was shocked at the response and after making arraignments with another company I took his advice and moved.

That's pretty funny.

I've had that happen over pricing. I ended up getting a call back with the price I was looking for however.

Just my opinion -> Because server rentals are readily available and with the advent of game control panels, it makes it easy for anyone to open a GSP which over saturates the market. The real GSPs know you can not live off of $1/slot and charge accordingly. The problem is there are a million that will charge little to nothing and will be gone next week.

The real GSPs know you can not live off of $1/slot and charge accordingly. The problem is there are a million that will charge little to nothing and will be gone next week.

I like that quote. I'll agree you couldn't live off $1/slot just selling game servers online, however does provide a hell of a lot more disposable income with the expenses of a 17 year old than (many?) large GSP owners have.

Archived