Xeon V Opteron ??

Daersun

Opteron wins it easily... if compared to a xeon setup that is priced the same as an opteron setup. we have several dual xeons and 2 dual opterons.

With the exact same set of servers and, on average about the same ammount of used slots (give or take a few), our dual xeon (3ghz, 2gb ram) takes 80% cpu where the dual opteron (opteron 248, 2gb ram) uses 55% (on average). Both have small peaks to 90%.

I have found the xeons to be a little cleaner running than the opteron systems. I am a fan of the opterons for databases but for gameservers I defintely prefer the xeons. I started with opterons originally and then Rich from Defcon convinced me to try a xeon and I have been very happy with it (thanks again Rich) Most of the experienced gameserver co's appear to be using xeons from what I have noticed as well

As far a comparing, we have both types of servers, we simply see a less used cpu on opterons. Then again, they aren't running windows/tcadmin as yet. So far the xeon and opteron servers are using linux (centos 4.x with a 2.6.x kernel).

About fords and chevy's, personally i have no affinity with both, have a Opel Astra CDTI Sport :smile:

Xeon's suffer due to thermal issues, and no on die memory controller.

Plus hyperthreading has some weirdness between specific stepping chips (cache corruption)

Xeon's with => 2mbyte L2 run good though.

• 3 months later...

We have been running Dual Opterons on 3 different servers. with not 1 complaint. Just kicked off a new box with dual 2.4 Opterons running on the 64 bit server 2003 OS and these things are unbelievable. Xeons cant compete in the 64 bit world. well not as yet anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

RRxMEZ,

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

RRxMEZ

We have been running Dual Opterons on 3 different servers. with not 1 complaint. Just kicked off a new box with dual 2.4 Opterons running on the 64 bit server 2003 OS and these things are unbelievable. Xeons cant compete in the 64 bit world. well not as yet anyway!

</td></tr></table>

Odd, as we have been running 64 bit Xeon systems for nearly 2 years... Win2k3 Enterprise 64bit OS, no issues...

64 bit OS doesn't really matter as of yet. Most games do not have 64 bit support, so they simply run in 32 bit mode anyways.

As for AMD vs. Intel..... I will say was use Intel, and will not further that arguement, since people use what they feel is best. :grin:

• 1 month later...

As for me I love Xeon but I do want to try the AMD !!

we run a vast range of dual xeon servers and even some single xeon servers for dedicateds , Being an avid gamer my self

I love my Dual Xeon Awsome for a personal machine ( A little over kill ) but if I need a dedicated box fast all I have to do is take mine to the data center!!

http://www.oc192connection.com/xeon/28.html

But if anyone nows where to get a Good deal on some dual amd's

let me know always willing to try something new

Odd, as we have been running 64 bit Xeon systems for nearly 2 years... Win2k3 Enterprise 64bit OS, no issues...

Didnt say it had issues, All I was inferring to was it didnt perform to the same level as the AMD Opterons! One is great and the other is slightly better!

• 1 month later...

I've Compared systems for a long time

Monitoring them while servers are full

Ive tried dual Xeon and dual Opterons and even compared using single processors

Opteron all the way for performance

But by processor alone isnt where most issues come from

Its the drives

dont use ide or sata

Scsi 15,000 rpm drives all the way

Ide suffers from crap performance especially during map changes

Ide is a nono there is nothing performance about it anyway servers will botlleneck if using ide

Sata isnt any better unless your running raid

scsi all the way

Archived