FTP only

dimitrifrom31

TCA has an "FTP Accounts" option. With it you can just create an FTP account, with no other services. Then just make the folder you have available by FTP a web site in IIS or Apache, whatever you use. Then create a subdomain to point to that website. I have found it easier to just have one FTP for multiple users (just for mods). They normally do not mind as most mods are free and easy to get.

You may also be asking how to do this automatically.... of that I am not aware. I guess you could get them to register for web hosting with CE and they can just use a subdomain off of yours, or their website. Note this would also require cpanel, or plesk.

Hope this helps.

:)

thx for the reply, Well I was wondering if I could do that with only TCa and CE but seems it just cant be done.

I will make a php script that autocreates subdomains in apache (already did that for a free nukedklan hosting service) but the hard part is for the ftp access, idk how to do that.

About bandwith it shud not be a problem doing that on a machine where are hosted game servers as I got 2*1Gb/s connections.

@ spitfire : may i ask you how comes your customers share same ftp? I mean they can erase/overwrite each other files or ? Did u set special permissions for that? Basically im interested in any simple solution to solve this. Idk how comes suddently my customers cant make free web accounts and start asking me providing this service :)

well actually i got apache on one of my servers cuz was easier for me to make a php script creating virtual hosts on apache. On my master TCa server i got IIs, not much familiar to it. anyway not the point :)

You mean IIS is a terrible web server :p

I hate the damn thing, Linux first, FreeBSD second, Windows + Apache third.

actually i just got used to apache when i started learning php and I dont know much about IIs, just got it running on the machine where my master server is.

So about the redirect downloads how do u guys manage it for ur clients? I dont want to provide webspace, GSP is enough for me :) Ive been thinking about giving an ftp for all but that may cause problems so im not sure yet what could be best.

I would like to please my customers but I dont want to set up a webspace automated service as it would be given only for free. I mean I dont wana spend time and money on plesk for exemple. I was just assuming that there could be alternative solutions applied by other Gsp's and was interested in knowing how you guys were dealing with it to compare your experience and make myself a better opinion about what to do and how to do it.

Just go to hostgator.com and get a reseller account. Make a package in WHM that has very little disk space and such. Then just set them up with subdomains ie: clanname.yourcompany.com

That way they can upload stuff.

Edit: I am suggesting this way because you can setup CE to auto create the accounts...

I never had any deletion problems. And what I suggested would work 100% if it was done as I explained it to be done. Host all the http mod downloads on your MASTER server. I always used my MASTER for web/ftp/mysql and game files / mods testing. I NEVER hosted paid servers off of a master. Doing this would not cause lag / etc.

Archived