How many servers can I host on this box?

Benheryet

Ive looked on forum, but noone has simular spec to me

How many css 66 tick slots do you recon I can host on this:

2 x 2.8ghz Xeon CPU

2GB Ram

3Tb Bandwidth

70GB Harddrive

What would be limiting factor - CPU or Ram?

(I realise hardrive is small)

I doubt the RAM would be the limiting factor because if I am guessing right, those are the really old Xeons (Single Core), 533 or 800 MHz with HT. If the servers get really busy you'll max those out before the memory.

From which host are you looking to get this from?

I doubt the RAM would be the limiting factor because if I am guessing right, those are the really old Xeons (Single Core), 533 or 800 MHz with HT. If the servers get really busy you'll max those out before the memory.

From which host are you looking to get this from?

Sorry, I was assuming he is running memory hog games such as the call of duty series :p If you are running games like CS:S your CPU may be the limiting factor.

They do.... But they also want it at $1.00 a slot :p

Sometimes I think we're the only ones who understand that business model just plain doesn't work.. --shakes head--

The only ones who think they can draw a profit at $1/slot are the same ones who cannot understand why a core2duo won't host 20 servers without lag.. Irony at it's best. Kinda like buying a VW and being baffled why it won't stay up with a Ferrari..

$1/slot never works unless you're GameServers :p

Lol, anyway im sorry for not being specific, what i meant by unplayable is like when the clients starts spaming the support tickets yelling "you suck" and saying "sooooo laggy" (even though its usualy them).

anyway what do you guys think about Gameservers.com so far about 90% of my clients came from their. :cool

I can tell you it will most likely not be half an amp.

*sorry for going off topic earlier in your thread.

yeah, 0.5 was just a guess.

If anyone has a simular system mabey they can tell me there amps

I need to know for datacentre costs

I don't know anyone that likes them.......

In reference to the pricing comments. I find it sad that I have to price my servers at $1.50 / slot just to be competitive with other companies. I miss 2.00 / slot profits.

We've been in business going on 6yrs and never had to drop prices like that to be competitive.. The first mistake everyone makes is trying to get into a price war to bring in business which 9/10 kills your company.. Being creative and offering something your competitors don't/cannot is what will set you apart.

We've been in business going on 6yrs and never had to drop prices like that to be competitive.. The first mistake everyone makes is trying to get into a price war to bring in business which 9/10 kills your company.. Being creative and offering something your competitors don't/cannot is what will set you apart.

dude just make your own thread if you want to force your views on others

I think Rich is simply tryign to be Captain Obvious. If the original poster is asking how many sots they can host on a specific box this shows a lack of knowlege as far as being a GSP. Nothing personal against the original poster as we all had to learn some way or another.

To answer you question.... there is no correct answer for it. There are simply too many variables involved with the game and/or mods to give a concrete number of slots that you can host on a box.

The Dual Xeon machines are now considered quite old in todays gaming market. Will they work? Absolutely! But you may wish to take a look at some Dual Core machines if you can.

Good luck in your new endevor!

Archived