GSP Forums

Todd Holley

A person whom I would consider a good friend of mine has revealed his idea of a forum dedicated to GSP'S to me recently. Many of you are familiar with Justin Croom with "Smokin Servers". This is intended to be fairly similar to WHT, but is primarily focused on the GSP/VSP side of things. I believe this is a good idea and could be a very useful means of communication and information sharing.

I posted in this in the off topic forum, but I guess it would fair just as well in the advertising forum. Kevin, you can move the thread as you see fit.

I encourage and invite you all the join the forum and at least try to make a few posts :). Forums take years to perfect and be populated with pages of useful information, so let's get to it. :)

http://www.gspforums.com/

We would also appreciate any comments / suggestions. :)

Additionally; I would appreciate it if you would spread the word of this forum. I have primarily focused most of my forum viewing time on the TCA forums as they contain information I am most interested in. So there are many other users that are respected / elderly members of other popular forums such as WHT.

I'll be certian to keep an eye on them. I just hope there is something different planned this time to make it survive where the last half a dozen or so have failed. :)

That has been noted and you are completely correct. The obvious killer is lack of interest. If there is a forum with 3 users and no content, I wouldn't even view it. The trick is getting users on the forum and to actively make threads and contribute overall to the forum. Hopefully this can be accomplished :)

That's why we need your help :). A forum is only as good as the community that exists within it.

[EDIT] I should have read your post better.. The forum is for GSP to GSP talk so my original post probably makes no sense..

I'll check it out when everything's running and look forward to participating. :)

Am exceptionally happy to have your approval Rich :).

Well,

Let me rephrase as my response was maybe little hasty. I personally refuse to use any forum that is based around phpbb as I think the user experience is overall unappealing when compared with other forum packages available (This is of course my personal biased opinion). If its not worth spending the small amount of money required to license one of the nicer forum packages out there, then I generally will not give the site another look.

In addition, while I appreciate your efforts and wish you luck, I generally dislike the multitude of these gsp "community/review sites" as the market is niche to begin with, making the need for one of these VERY small. As such I will generally only bother looking at one if it is done very well, and unfortunately to say, there are very few that are more than an attempt to milk ad money.

These forums are for GSP's that use TCAdmin :) Anyways it has not been proven, look at web hosting talk, a very succesful forum (well before it was hacked lol) competitors often ask for advice and receive it there. As far as PHPBB, we will not be using it long. Anyways if you have nothing nice to say... well please say nothing at all.

One thing I find that usually hinders sites such as this would be the lack of participation on the GSP's part. While some people are willing to share info on game hosting many others will not. Their thinking is simply. If they had to figure out how to host a game why shouldn't everyone else.

Case and point. We have quite a few large GSPs that use our software. However you will never see them post here.

At any rate, good luck with your new venture :)

Even with the flaming, these forums are still the most mature on the net for GSPs to interact.

One thing I find that usually hinders sites such as this would be the lack of participation on the GSP's part. While some people are willing to share info on game hosting many others will not. Their thinking is simply. If they had to figure out how to host a game why shouldn't everyone else.

Case and point. We have quite a few large GSPs that use our software. However you will never see them post here.

I agree. The forums here are mainly the small to mid sized GSP's, however there is still some very good information shared here and also quite a few friendships that have developed among many users. I know I have talked to many here by telephone, email, VOIP and/or IM. Over the years I have been helped by quite a few members, and have also tried to help others too. I am not sure another forum is needed, as many are in here and use this forum for what you are trying to do with the new one. But that said, I will still probably create an account over there too :)

... look at web hosting talk, a very succesful forum (well before it was hacked lol) ....

Was justy about to comment something simailar after reading it was compared to WHT, lol.

Not that I'm dissing WHT mind... I've lost loads of posts :(

Anyway OT....

It could be very good but as said, it is hard to get ANY forum going, let alone one with a small 'potential' userbase. I will keep my eyes (and some words) on it and see how it goes.

I do disagree with Justin when he says "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all". Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I asked for all opinions and suggestions, not just nice ones :). Although I was surprised yet grateful for Rich's gratifying reply, I expected it to be more like Mike's. This new approach at a "GSP forum" is not intended to take away from the TCAdmin forum, and I doubt will ever do that. The TCAdmin forum is by far the most mature, and perfectly sized forum I have ever been a part of. As said in post #1 this idea was contributed by Justin, I can take 0 credit for it. Although I will gladly support it, and believe it could turn out to be something good. It all relies on if people are willing to submit information and contribute to the forums through information as well as spreading the word about it. As pointed out by Kevin, many large GSP's will not contribute to ideas such as this at all. Although WHT is very large, much too large in my opinion, you see many owners / presidents of companies on the forum contributing to new users with just a few posts. The web hosting field is over saturated, just like the game hosting market is.

Basically, I just figured this would be a good tool to use for the sharing of information to and from individuals that are willing to use it. There is no sense in being hostile about it in my opinion.

Also noted upon the moment of conception was that we need a more stable / solid forum software such as VBulletin or Invision Power Board.

Keep the comments coming :)

Hey, I take offense to that. I'm only small in server numbers.... lol

Big in heart. :o)

Archived