New Intel CPU !

iLight

We will be looking into these. However it will still be about 5-6 months before these are cost effective. I don't think they've even been launched yet.

Also, So far it hasn't been shown that scaling beyond 8 cores is even effective. From the people that I talked to who have tested 16 core machines, they said the benefit just wasn't there.

I believe 8-16 cores would be effective on "super machines" where you maybe have ~50-100 game servers on a machine with multiple network ports, endless amounts of ram, and large hard drives.... this could lower the pricing but render your services useless if you have problems with 1 machine. Rule of thumb.... a bunch of small machines is better than a couple large machines.

These were just released yesterday btw. (I'm takling about the actual Xeon Processors, the 55xx series, not the Desktop version i7s).

And was talking about the ability of the operating system to properly utilize 16 cores.

Why would anyone want to run 100 game servers on a box? Think of this. What happens if a component of that server dies? eg. HDD, CPU etc....

You have 100 clients without a gameserver...

More is not always better...

Exactly... I have always said (literally said in multiple threads). A bunch of small machines is better than a few large ones. :) But it does appear to be cheaper and easier to manage..... And I guess if you were running a hot swappable raid setup it could be fine. That of course doesn't account for other component failures.

Archived