i7 920 - 1U - Host Arma2

FPSGAME

Okay so after reading countless threads which may help resolve this question I'm putting it here to be discussed so I can direct my exact questions at you all and see what you think.

My Aim:

To host as many Arma 2 servers as possible (slot usage unknown but would like 30 slots+ per game server) whilst not being hogged by CPU / RAM.

Research:

So far I can see i7 being the main candidate however I can only see a 10% reduction in CPU usage from 25% (Current Spec Q9650) to 15% (i7 920 Build). I also have HUGE concerns regarding heat generated in a 1u enclosure, From what other community members have pointed you can still host in 1u's but they provided no source docs with cpu temps on an 17 or anything of that nature.

Most people have said you would need a 2U and thus More Co-Lo costs + Possible Extra Power. I also have found out that with Arma 2 if you mess with the B/W settings in the config you can lower the CPU usage further but side effects are lag & also no one has posted any evidence of this or even their config settings.

I have speced up the following Build:

2u Chassis Comes With Rails & Power Supply 500W

£130 delivered 1 - 2 days dhl

Intel Core i7 920 "D0" + Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Bundle

12GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHZ DDR3 Memory

£250

Caviar Black 500GB

£40

£804.00

From what I can see from the outset is simply this:

20% Extra Costs to build

10% Extra Costs to Colo

05% Extra Costs Colo Power

10% Reduction in CPU usage per Arma 2 32 slot server

Note Question: If I do go with 2u I could Overclock from 2.66 to 3.2 or higher but my question is what CPU Heatsink / Fan would I need? I am assuming a Tuniq heatsink will not fit HAHAHA ;)

All of these questions are asked in regards to simply hosting as many Arma 2 servers as possible so keep that in mind before replying.

Last but not least if you think you can come up with a better build for around the same price but get a PROVEN extra performance via CPU usage reductions then feel free to reply with your own build.

Thanks.

We run Dual E5530's and don't run more than 2 per box. Its just oo much of a pig and you would have to charge 5-6 per slot to makeup the money for the box.

Ditto :)

Archived