TCADMIN 2 and Linux

gemcneill

As I understand it TCA2 will have support for linux remote servers. As we all know this is good from a standpoint not paying Microsoft any money and saving costs as well as resources, but the main issue I see is many are novices at using linux and this could lead to issues. I would like to start a movement to create a linux distro for GSPs that will work with TCA2 out of the box and have best practices in place at install (i.e. security settings, configs, ect). This will be a community run distro that will come with NO WARRANTY AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I believe that ubuntu server would be best to use since it has a easy gui interface and is not completely foreign. We can then build a disto from that base and update it as it needs to be. If I am off mark here on TCA2 or this is posted in the wrong location please move this thread. At this point this is just a suggestion, and I am not a linux person but I am learn more and more each day about the OS and I like it. Post your ideas/concerns and lets see if we can hash this out in time for a tca2 release.

George

As I understand it TCA2 will have support for linux remote servers. As we all know this is good from a standpoint not paying Microsoft any money and saving costs as well as resources, but the main issue I see is many are novices at using linux and this could lead to issues. I would like to start a movement to create a linux distro for GSPs that will work with TCA2 out of the box and have best practices in place at install (i.e. security settings, configs, ect). This will be a community run distro that will come with NO WARRANTY AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I believe that ubuntu server would be best to use since it has a easy gui interface and is not completely foreign. We can then build a disto from that base and update it as it needs to be. If I am off mark here on TCA2 or this is posted in the wrong location please move this thread. At this point this is just a suggestion, and I am not a linux person but I am learn more and more each day about the OS and I like it. Post your ideas/concerns and lets see if we can hash this out in time for a tca2 release.

George

HA! You want a GUI on the Distro?? i dont see the point to that, thats just asking for problems with n00bs! The best ran servers in linux only invoke the GUI if something is so majorly wrong, but the last time i ever invoked the GUI was when...i wont go there. As far as a TCA Distro of linux, while would be good, but i don't think it will be too popular for support unfortunately. Most of the dedicated servers for games are coming out to be windows only. The older games that a lot of people still play are both windows and Linux.

My opinion, is especially for GSP's why have to have Linux and windows certified techs? Don't get me wrong im both but, creating a special distro for TCA to have to support means a lot more work for them and us.

If anything i would like to see it based off of CentOS/RHEL instead of ubuntu. While i use ubuntu server 9.04 for a lot i tend to find the stability of the game server be a little stronger on CentOS side. Ubuntu has a bad habit of breaking needed dependencies when they update to the newest debian kernel.

P.S. If you want an amazing server distro, gentoo all the way! I just don't always have the time to wait on it ;)

Afraid I don't support the idea. You can't simplify Linux to a no brainier you either you learn it, or you don't.

Also as already stated many times, the newest games for the most part do not support Linux, its nice to have it for older games and specialty games (games coded by the open source community) but a GSP would find it hard to survive trying to drop windows.

I also agree why make more work for TCA in creating yet another distro for them to support, and if they choose not to because we screw something up all of a sudden its not one customer upset its a whole batch of customers.

I'd also second Cent/OS as a better option.

centos rocks! :) we used it several times for hosting game servers, without any issues. Though as some games dropped linux server's we went for windows.

If you ask me, half life games are the only ones which I would like to host on linux.

That would be great if true but they dumped Linux with version 1 why go back to it on version 2

Simply put it was not stable enough back then.

However we have had numerous requests for it from clients that like to run older games on it such as CS and CSS.

As I stated the point of this is to come up with a distro that is a good base to start from and then agree on best practices (i.e. firewall settings, security settings, ect) that will give linux server os ready for usage from a GSP. Even with a GUI on any distro, will still have a much smaller foot print than any windows install, but building 2 distros, one with out a gui is not that big of a change. What I am trying to create is a way for those who want to experiment with linux a way to do so with out blindly picking a version and trying to figure everything out by hand. This will allow users the ability to know that this version will out of the box work with TCA and they can experiment with running a few servers and have an expected level of security and stability with out having to learn everything there is to know about linux.

George

If your going to pursue it I would go for guides not a distro.

A start with such and such distro available here, use this install setting, go here and add this, set that, delete this... ect

This elevates problems with trying to keep the distro up to date which is one of the biggest things when it comes to security. Eliminates any additional headaches for tcadmin support. Takes less resources so could be sustained for cheaper (yea you might feel well I'll sustain it, but what happens if your plans change or you seas to be around).

@gem depends on how many windows you have open, on how many virtual windows you have open, with how much running in the background. I can run a GUI processes upto about 400mb of ram and 10-20% cpu usage, just dont ask how ;)

@Dimitri

I agree with that, only people that have real knowledge of linux and real GSP's isntead of 12 year olds trying to get out into the world by making a buck off of something thats already made for them instead of putting the time into it like they should.

@studeggle

while i see your point, having a specific distro instead of a guide would actually be more acturate to follow because i know for one, centos, overall is stable and reliable with their updates. Most of their updates are minor that come out and dont break dependencies.

While with Ubuntu or debian based kernels, i have seen when i was all gung-ho about ubuntu break a lot of stuff when they update because they no longer support something or need it anymore.

Frankly to keep up with the guide is going to be just as much work as a distro if not more at times because you will likely have to research up the latest revision of a dependency and tell them how to install it and make it work.

When it comes to limiting this to "real GSPs" this would require some type of measurement to determine this. While I agree with the concept to prevent just any person trying this out, I also want to allow new GSPS that are legit access to this. So do we create a group with in the TCA forums that requires proof that you are a legit GSP? What would be considered the proof? Do we require some type of commitment to the group? Do we all wear robes, with special rings and meet at a giant stone table whisper to one another in the shadows?

As for creating a distro, may be it would be better to choose a current distro, then create packages to install on that distro, along with a best practice guide. Maybe a wiki would be in order for the guide, but only editable if you know the secret hand shake. This way not one person would be responsible for the up keep but trusted group members could add content.

When it comes to limiting this to "real GSPs" this would require some type of measurement to determine this. While I agree with the concept to prevent just any person trying this out, I also want to allow new GSPS that are legit access to this. So do we create a group with in the TCA forums that requires proof that you are a legit GSP? What would be considered the proof? Do we require some type of commitment to the group? Do we all wear robes, with special rings and meet at a giant stone table whisper to one another in the shadows?

just by providing some documents proving your in legal business. just like triton did for ts3 licencing for exemple.

edit : and to make it even more simple a link to your ts3 ATHP could be a proof too

Sorry that I have not posted back to this, kind of busy with the whole counter strike ob thing, but now that I have some time I guess we will need to hammer out some stuff. First off is this something that tcadmin could make a sub forums for or would just this fall under dedicated servers. Also should we completely break away and not have this talked about here. Also should we require proof of GSP. Lastly who will have direct say over version releases as new fixes, updates come out?

George

Sorry that I have not posted back to this, kind of busy with the whole counter strike ob thing, but now that I have some time I guess we will need to hammer out some stuff. First off is this something that tcadmin could make a sub forums for or would just this fall under dedicated servers. Also should we completely break away and not have this talked about here. Also should we require proof of GSP. Lastly who will have direct say over version releases as new fixes, updates come out?

George

Would be something before getting to far involved in would talk to Kevin and Luis about this. Make sure this is something that they are going to support and help with as needed and to make it official release and what not. So first off check with them and then full steam ahead.

There will be no support from us on any build other than our official builds released via our update system.

Since the software is encrypted there is really nothing you can do with it. So I am not sure what you plan to do with an updates.

And lastly, our software license will not change as far as reverse engineering or releasing it to others. So that pretty much kills anything like this from happening.

• 2 weeks later...

ECF, I am not sure what you mean by no support except for official releases. What exactly are you referring to here. Are you talking about TCA2 or a linux distro? I would not expect any type of distro to come from TCA, but there is then that would be great. Maybe I am missing the point of your last post.

ECF, I am not sure what you mean by no support except for official releases. What exactly are you referring to here. Are you talking about TCA2 or a linux distro? I would not expect any type of distro to come from TCA, but there is then that would be great. Maybe I am missing the point of your last post.

I was referring to TCA2.

Archived