Backup plans

GameConnectors

my Datacenter has a backup service, once a month for every server i get a request to overwrite the backup for last month with a newer one, and so far that works great.

What is morely important is sql updates of tcadmin and websites, if you lose that your pretty much ****** :shock:

Backups are good to have, and you should do them. however another method you may employ is simply ask that anytime you client changes configs etc.. simply have them download the file to their local machine. They can do this in the filemanager by simply clicking on the file.

That way they have a copy of their config handy, in case they screw it up, or your have a drive/os failure etc...

Everyone will have some sort of failure on at least one of their systems. Nothing can prevent these things from happening. but having good backups will help you get things quickly restored.

As a rule of thumb, allways keep a daily backup of your tcadmin database.

Backups are good to have, and you should do them. however another method you may employ is simply ask that anytime you client changes configs etc.. simply have them download the file to their local machine. They can do this in the filemanager by simply clicking on the file.

That way they have a copy of their config handy, in case they screw it up, or your have a drive/os failure etc...

Everyone will have some sort of failure on at least one of their systems. Nothing can prevent these things from happening. but having good backups will help you get things quickly restored.

As a rule of thumb, allways keep a daily backup of your tcadmin database.

yer but the problem is, when i host the db at u, i cant use the db backup tool :sad:.

Is there anyway of changing that?

For you it's even easier, as we do nightly backups of your database for you :grin:

oh lol, i didnt even remember that, probably it once was one of the points why i decided to host it at your site,...well then i can stop asking for the sql exports, cant I :oops:

Wasnt it annoying to always send me backups, even thou you took backups anyway?

lol

Our backups are simple® now... exp after we had a single remote crash, and figured out stuff from it.

We dont backup each game server install. We just backup the configs for the remote and the master server (db). I already have 600gigs+ of backups I have to manage every day between the office, our hosted sites, and the local customers we do their network for. Adding another 70gigs per machine is not something I feel would be worth our time. I do let our customers know this though.

But we do run RAID on all our servers in a mirrored setup, to help try to keep from having to use backups (we lost the raid controller on our last remote on Jan 1, so that's the only crash we had to deal with).

I've actually got a .bat file somewhere which backs up any MySQL DB, zips it up and then copies it to a specified directory. It even puts the date in the file name.

I set it up to run as a scheduled task every night on one of our boxes at work.

If anyones interested let me know.

We dont bother with backups of remote servers/game servers as imo its not worth the expense of gigabytes of backup space for something that is unlikely to go wrong and when it does, is easier to set up with a fresh install.

We do backup the tcadmin database and all teamspeak and ventrilo servers daily to a remote ftp server and keep them for around a month (or whenever i can be bothered clearing out ;) )

Could anyone recommend a windows backup app to zip/copy and ftp files and folders? the one we have has a few bugs.

-Paul

I use backup assistant and haven't had any problems, really like its ability to setup how much compression I want on the backup so I can balance the CPU usage against the storage space :grin:

"We do backup the tcadmin database and all teamspeak and ventrilo servers daily to a remote ftp server and keep them for around a month (or whenever i can be bothered clearing out ;))"

I use a little script I wrote that just auto deletes the backup file after it is X days old. I use to do the manual cleaning out, but it was allways such a pain to stay on top of. Would you like a copy?

Archived