CPU utilization showing 0% for full server

TheikoS

I just noticed my Operton server showing 0% CPU Utilization for Core 0 that hosts a 30slot filled cs:s pub. Affinity is set manually within TCAdmin. Has this happened to anyone before? This has never happened before I installed TCAdmin, which has been the only change to the server since this bug occured.

Best way to rule out our software would be to run one fo the games on the desktop via a commandline and see what you get then.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with TCAdmin. But I never say never until we can prove it.

On a side note. I would suggest against assigning CPUs to a game. Essential waht you are doing is creating a hard lock on the CPU it can use. If the CPU pegs, the game will lag like crazy. It's usually adivisable to allow windows to balance everything across all CPUs (whether actual cpus or virtual).

That way a game can grab some resources from another CPU if needed.

Usually, the need for affinity is only used for poorly coded games that suck up 100% of any CPU it can find while starting. Or if a game eats CPU on map changes, and is causing lag to the other games.

Also, how many CPUs do you have on that machine?

One CPU - Dual Core (Opteron 170)

The reason I assigned affinity manually was because I noticed a performance difference vs. letting windows manage it. For example when I let windows manage it, in game feels a little laggy and typing feels delayed. When I set the affinity to a single core it feels responsive in-game again.

Two days ago I patched the server with the latest Opteron Processor drivers. Prior to that the only way to achieve a constant FPS on any game server was to manually set affinity. Now after the patch the FPS seems to remain steady when both cores are selected but I still notice in-game anomalies.

Ok, I found out the cause of the problem but it still doesn't make sense. Alright, I run the srcdsfpsboost program to raise the timer on my server to pump up the FPS. It has always ran, and I found out that it quit running. When I started it back up CPU usage for the srcds server started to show. When I shut the program down it falls back down to 0% even though the server is still cranking away.

Not too familiar with the internal workings of the booster, but it should simply change the system multimedia timer.

You can do this by starting Windows Media Player and leaving it open. It doesn't have to be playing anything.

Right, but the booster takes less resources than opening up media player... The thing is when it is "not" running the CPU utilization for the srcds server does not show. All other processes seem to show fine.

Very, very, strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived