'Medal of Honor? video game sales banned on military bases

WYD-KEN

'Medal of Honor? video game sales banned on military bases

The Associated Press

? September 9, 2010

By Anne Flaherty

WASHINGTON

The Navy Exchange and other stores at military bases across the country have banned the sale of a new video game that lets a player pretend to be a Taliban fighter and "shoot" U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

"Medal of Honor," by Electronic Arts, a major game developer based in Redwood City, Calif., hits stores Oct. 12.

After public protests, including by British Defense Secretary Liam Fox, U.S. military officials decided not to stock the game in any of the nearly 300 base exchange shops.

The game also won't be sold at any of the 49 GameStop stores located on various military bases. Troops will be allowed to own copies, but they would have to buy them off base.

You can read More

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/medal-honor%E2%80%99-video-game-sales-banned-military-bases?cid=srch

old news, and pretty stupid.

It's not stupid to ban the sale of the game on bases. I can see the reason behind it and think it is sound.

Thats kind of funny, I assume you can buy games like GTA tho...

It's not like they have banned other games for no reason. This is the only game I have seen banned by them. Pup will go to the PX and get a lot of games for us cheap.

about GTA reminds me when the 1st GTA came out some shops banned it. Then they saw the sales and are now selling every release.

This is pretty much stupid to ban a game that can be bought shop next door anyway. In cod4 you can shoot marines, was this game banned aswell?

I don't think that taliban's are shooting us marines there.

It's normal for them that a SAS unit is shooting at Marine :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not to bring back a dead topic, but I am going to have to. Being in the military I saw a "PRE-ORDER" at a game stop on post in California for Medal of Honor. Who cares it is a video game. I am a US soldier and it doesn't hurt my moral, we already play CODMW2 and MW where other players can attack US troops.

Just another way to control the populations. Go forbid we are at war for no reason. But I don't want to start a flame war.

Archived