Monitor service - how much CPU usage?

GrossKopf

It depends on what operations it may be perfoming. If it is collecting stats or installing servers it will use CPU.

If it is constantly using 25% that is not normal.

It seems to be maintaining 25%. No servers being installed. Only about two dozen services currently installed and running.

I have seen this happen during the following actions:

-Stats

-Automated game installations

-Batch Updates

-Incomplete processesing of a certain task or a hang in an action that has been done using the web interface.

I would also highly recommend not putting tcadmin on a VPS due to other user's on the VPS that could affect something so critical, unless it is a hybrid dedicated server which I have seen used to help with HA setups (server dedicated to running just your VPS.)

I have seen this happen during the following actions:

-Stats

-Automated game installations

-Batch Updates

-Incomplete processesing of a certain task or a hang in an action that has been done using the web interface.

I would also highly recommend not putting tcadmin on a VPS due to other user's on the VPS that could affect something so critical, unless it is a hybrid dedicated server which I have seen used to help with HA setups (server dedicated to running just your VPS.)

Hey there Norman - I'm guessing it was the last one, since it cleared up with a restart of the monitor. From what I understand about this VPS, everything is dedicated. My own dedicated CPU and RAM.

There is ram and cpu that is available to you, but the actual physical hardware is not dedicated to just you and is shared with other clients on the same server. One thing that does come to mind about true dedicated resources for a vps would be mediatemple's dpv service which houses only a single client on the physical hardware and is not shared with others.

Though to be honest some things should not be virtualized unless it is on high end hardware (SCSI/SAS Disk 10k/15k RPM drives or dedicated SAN, Intel Xeon 552x+ series processors, high speed ram, RAID1/10, etc.) were certain bottlenecks from the virtualized environment are minimal due to the raw high performance of the physical hardware.

The easy way to tell if its word game or actual dedicated is do they talk hardware or do they talk space.

Sites that are truly giving you dedicated will talk hardware, like woodcrest, xeon, ddr, etc...

Sites that are playing word games will talk in quantities, 2gb, 2gh, etc. because you don't have dedicated hardware they are simply allowing you access to a portion of shared hardware. The only thing vpswebserver is saying is they won't oversell the server.

There is ram and cpu that is available to you, but the actual physical hardware is not dedicated to just you and is shared with other clients on the same server. One thing that does come to mind about true dedicated resources for a vps would be mediatemple's dpv service which houses only a single client on the physical hardware and is not shared with others.

Though to be honest some things should not be virtualized unless it is on high end hardware (SCSI/SAS Disk 10k/15k RPM drives or dedicated SAN, Intel Xeon 552x+ series processors, high speed ram, RAID1/10, etc.) were certain bottlenecks from the virtualized environment are minimal due to the raw high performance of the physical hardware.

Well, according to their website, the ram is dedicated to me, as is the hard drive and bandwidth, so I'm not sure what else to say.

It's really not important. It runs TCAdmin very well as well as the B3 services I'm running and I haven't seen any bottlenecks or other problems. It's cheaper than a dedicated server and I can easily expand it as my needs change.

Archived