Duke Nukem Forever Dedicated servers

gemcneill

I am just starting this thread since I have found several places that mention it is a "strong" possibility that DNF will have dedicated servers. Since many in the GSP community have been feeling the pain of no dedicated servers, or cant get a License to host I wanted to start this thread so everyone here will know if, how and when DNF servers will be out. Perhaps we should reach out as a community and ask Gearbox about this and try to calm any potential issues they might have about releasing dedicated servers. Also I would like to know what the community thinks about having free open dedicated servers or some type of ranked provider system.

George

ranked system is retarded to death and ranked partners are just shooting bullets in their own feet.

thats the polite version of what i think about it, as a gamer and as a gsp.

agreed -- it's just an excuse to charge more, always has and always will be. There is no benefit to the user what so ever with this.

-Adam

agreed -- it's just an excuse to charge more, always has and always will be. There is no benefit to the user what so ever with this.

-Adam

This is completely false..

It's not a excuse to charge more.... Although I can't speak for other RSP's I can say..

Hypernia MOH Ranked 0.65 to 0.85 Cents per slot!

BC2 As low as 0.94 cents per slot!

and that includes additional FREE services like webhosting and in some cases Voice.

Please don't make blanket statements when they are unfounded..

Also these were and are our original prices.

Just the Facts Ma'am

not an excuse to charge more but an excuse to screw customers by reducing their choice.

Many ranked providers that I know (I said many, not all) are not giving a full support, not blaming them for that, when u run a big GSP u can hardly give a fully personalized support to each and every customer, but the problem is that ranked partners are all "big" gsp's.

Besides that its total BS for clans and communities who own their own boxes and want to run their own servers.

Its been killing PC multiplayer to the max, check where it has lead with mw2 and black ops.

not an excuse to charge more but an excuse to screw customers by reducing their choice.

Many ranked providers that I know (I said many, not all) are not giving a full support, not blaming them for that, when u run a big GSP u can hardly give a fully personalized support to each and every customer, but the problem is that ranked partners are all "big" gsp's.

Besides that its total BS for clans and communities who own their own boxes and want to run their own servers.

Its been killing PC multiplayer to the max, check where it has lead with mw2 and black ops.

Developers screwed customers, not RSP's.

Creating "Ranked Games" and then limiting the number of providers is contrary to a free market system and stifles competition. In a free market price is regulated by competition. Limiting the number of providers to a single host, in the case of Black-Ops, may even violate U.S. antitrust laws.

Perhaps it is time to contact the Federal Trade Commission and bring this to the attention of their Bureau of Competition.

This is completely false..

It's not a excuse to charge more.... Although I can't speak for other RSP's I can say..

Hypernia MOH Ranked 0.65 to 0.85 Cents per slot!

BC2 As low as 0.94 cents per slot!

and that includes additional FREE services like webhosting and in some cases Voice.

Please don't make blanket statements when they are unfounded..

Also these were and are our original prices.

I never stated that "every" company utilizes this as an excuse.

As you stated, you can't speak for others -- While it's great that you maybe aren't "choosing" to charge more, but it is still a valid "excuse" others utilize to charge more. It has been for as long as I can recall. "Ranked Price" "Unranked Price", and as Dimitri stated many of these providers then choose to provide less and less services to the end customer further reducing what the customer is getting for their money.

I never stated that "every" company utilizes this as an excuse.

As you stated, you can't speak for others -- While it's great that you maybe aren't "choosing" to charge more, but it is still a valid "excuse" others utilize to charge more. It has been for as long as I can recall. "Ranked Price" "Unranked Price", and as Dimitri stated many of these providers then choose to provide less and less services to the end customer further reducing what the customer is getting for their money.

+1 , ranked servers are almost always more expensive whereas they are not using any more resources for what I know. Black Ops ranked are sold at higher price than unranked atm. doesnt make sense since gs have monopoly on it, I guess they just sticked to their old priceing policy else customers renting other ranked game servers would have started wondering why the hell they are gettin charged more for a ranked server.

whereas they are not using any more resources for what I know. .

Ranked BF titles use a shit ton of BW.

We had some boxes pushing upwards of 50 Mbit steady. Most all other titles do not use this much BW.

This could be one of the reasons they don't let the little guys in. Maybe they are afraid you'll go boom in the middle of the night.

Who knows, and who cares.. its just one more game in a long line of titles. They come and they go...

If a server is ranked its guaranteed to have 75% more traffic than an unranked server so if you dont justify charging more for something thats going to use more bandwidth on your servers to cover the costs then your in the wrong business and have no clue what your doing.

Look at private and public some charge more for public because it will be used more since its a public server and you charge less on a private server since people use it for matches once or twice a week. How about complain about that then?? because its the exact same thing as ranked / unranked if you charge less for private then its hypocritical

Its just business and we cant do much about it. Give your fingers a break cause it wont do any good EA, Activision and Voice companies will all go the same route limiting providers thats life

/end rant

If a server is ranked its guaranteed to have 75% more traffic than an unranked server so if you dont justify charging more for something thats going to use more bandwidth on your servers to cover the costs then your in the wrong business and have no clue what your doing.

Look at private and public some charge more for public because it will be used more since its a public server and you charge less on a private server since people use it for matches once or twice a week. How about complain about that then?? because its the exact same thing as ranked / unranked if you charge less for private then its hypocritical

Its just business and we cant do much about it. Give your fingers a break cause it wont do any good EA, Activision and Voice companies will all go the same route limiting providers thats life

/end rant

u can just charge less for unranked if they dont make traffic and keep the prices low for ranked. That was the point : ranked providers increase their prices since there is not much competition (and its not about ressources used).

Thats not really business, business is more about free compeition, this is just bullshit system and every1 but ranked providers want this to stop.

Ranked BF titles use a shit ton of BW.

We had some boxes pushing upwards of 50 Mbit steady. Most all other titles do not use this much BW.

This could be one of the reasons they don't let the little guys in. Maybe they are afraid you'll go boom in the middle of the night.

Who knows, and who cares.. its just one more game in a long line of titles. They come and they go...

french providers should be all ranked then :p here bw doesnt cost a thing, u get unlimited traffic and 100Mbps minimum.

Too many blanket statements and almost all paper thin at that. I started LPGS in November of 09 and became an RSP just 4 months after opening up shop with BC2. I sold it in September, 2010 just before MOH released, but there will be many more ranked titles that LPGS will offer. How many clients do you really think I had within 4 months that your going to make "big"/non-personal contact statements?

Facts are simple. If your lazy and don't pursue it then it's your problem. If you have the desire to host it, then find a way and get creative. Persistence and Perseverance go a long way in this world.

Too many blanket statements and almost all paper thin at that. I started LPGS in November of 09 and became an RSP just 4 months after opening up shop with BC2. I sold it in September, 2010 just before MOH released, but there will be many more ranked titles that LPGS will offer. How many clients do you really think I had within 4 months that your going to make "big"/non-personal contact statements?

Facts are simple. If your lazy and don't pursue it then it's your problem. If you have the desire to host it, then find a way and get creative. Persistence and Perseverance go a long way in this world.

+1 :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow could have sworn I created this topic to keep info up to date on DNF dedicated servers, not a discussion on Ranked providers. That being said the entire argument summed up here is that everyone has an agenda.

Ranked providers will for the most part like the idea of ranked servers since they limit competition and make them more money. Any argument about more bandwidth/server usage is a created problem since there are fewer ranked providers. If your servers crash all the time and are not stable, you will run out of business and that will be the end of it. This system is not about stability or better game play its about control of money. Now stability and better game play can be a side affect but not its intended result.

As for those that are not ranked providers, if we could be one, we would. Anyone that would say other wise is either lying or not a good businessman. I am pretty sure that anyone that has this as their primary job, knows its about money not games. If we can shrink the market and have less competition there by having more users per ranked provider we will do it.

Now what I would like to see is dedicated servers, no strings attached. However with universal ranking systems that is not possible, so ranked and unranked servers are the solution. I can see paying a fee to the game creators for each ranked slot but what they are doing now is the least amount of work possible. Only have a few people to watch, and bill. This is similar to ventrilo licensing, but at least you can resell that.

That all being said, with DNF I think we might have an opportunity to influence them to not do a Ranked server provider system or at least influence the system to be more open about how you can apply to become a ranked provider and not limit it. In order to do this we have to agree on how this is done as a whole. So I suggest we come up with a system that can work for any game and is fair. We are the industry and we know what is best for it. We are dependent on them (game developers) but that doesnt mean we cant shape their ideas on ranked servers. Other wise don't get in my way when they start taking requests for ranked servers, cause I will kick you in the back of the knee and climb over your body to get my name in that list. Nothing personal, just business.

George

As for those that are not ranked providers, if we could be one, we would. Anyone that would say other wise is either lying or not a good businessman. I am pretty sure that anyone that has this as their primary job, knows its about money not games. If we can shrink the market and have less competition there by having more users per ranked provider we will do it.

ive been in the gsp for nearly 8 years, Im doing it as main and only job since march 2008 and I never applied to any ranked program as its totally against my idea of what PC MP is supposed to be.

If your convinced about smth money doesnt matter. During WW2 some ppl collaborated with nazis for money. Rude comparison but money is not an argument to justify any behaviour.

I never applied to any ranked program as its totally against my idea of what PC MP is supposed to be...

... Rude comparison but money is not an argument to justify any behavior.

+1

That's the trouble with to many businesses they loose sight of principles and do anything for another buck and look where its gotten us as a world. Business does NOT require abandonment of principles for money that is a myth, that generally hurts everyone in the long run.

Archived