Which OS for dedi server

markop10

I have to setup tomorow one server for gameserver (cod2 and cod4) and I have to choose between server 2003 and server 2008

server specs:

CPU Intel Xeon 3540 / 12 GB DDR3 ECC RAM /2x 500GB HDD SATAII /

Motherboard: SuperMicro MBD-X8STI-F KVM IPMI

Which OS is better for cod2 and cod4 gameservers and x64 or x86?

I have been using 2003 for cods and found no issues at all. So my vote goes for 2k3 especially if you are not advanced user.

If you have 12Gb ram use 64bit or use 32bit enterprise edition which can page more than 4gb with PAE enabled.

(running 24Gb on 32bit OS)

Some issue you might want to consider.

1. Most games are going to run 32 bit even on a 64 bit system.

2. If you plan on offering 1000 fps games you need Windows 2008

3. Windows 2003 is a little easier to run than 2008

4. Some games don't run well on 2003. AA3 is a good example of that.

5. 2008 does not allow you to have the game server interact with desktop. Hinders trouble shooting.

6. Cost, 2003 is cheaper than 2008

Some issue you might want to consider.

1. Most games are going to run 32 bit even on a 64 bit system.

2. If you plan on offering 1000 fps games you need Windows 2008

3. Windows 2003 is a little easier to run than 2008

4. Some games don't run well on 2003. AA3 is a good example of that.

5. 2008 does not allow you to have the game server interact with desktop. Hinders trouble shooting.

6. Cost, 2003 is cheaper than 2008

On 2008, you can set the game server to "interact with desktop" and it works fine.

You just have to turn on "interactive services detection" under "services"

AA3's problem isn't with 2003 versus 2008. It's with a x64 OS versus a x86 OS. The x86 binary is incapable of running smoothly in the x64 OS enviroment.

This is correct however we ran into a compatibility issue with 2008 and AA3 when trying to run AA3 in combination with Blackhawk down and a few other games. We did not have the compatibility issue using 2003

This is correct however we ran into a compatibility issue with 2008 and AA3 when trying to run AA3 in combination with Blackhawk down and a few other games. We did not have the compatibility issue using 2003

So then your negating your previous statement that 2003 has an issue and it's in fact 2008 then that does? Otherwise I'm confused as you stated first that some games don't run well on 2003 but yet in your last post you now state that it's 2008.

I find much easier to configure and run 2003 OS :)

Only why you would choose 2008 is 1000fps for HL and Source games

And if someone interested, I have 2 Licences that I do not use. I send you iso file and license.

Dealing licenses for free?

1.) PAE is slow.

2.) High FPS on OrangeBox is useless. Run at 1:1 (tickrate / fps)

3.) Windows 2008 uses HPET for interrupt routing and as a timebase, instead of the APIC/PIC, so you'll get more overall better timer resolution and scheduling.

I find much easier to configure and run 2003 OS :)

Only why you would choose 2008 is 1000fps for HL and Source games

And if someone interested, I have 2 Licences that I do not use. I send you iso file and license.

I'm interested in one.

So then your negating your previous statement that 2003 has an issue and it's in fact 2008 then that does? Otherwise I'm confused as you stated first that some games don't run well on 2003 but yet in your last post you now state that it's 2008.

What I stated was AA3 does not run well on 2003 I should have said that AA3 does not run well on 2003 64 bit

The compatibly issue we ran into was AA3 and BHD running on 2008

Yeah, that was stated already. Basically I was asking you to clarify since you cast a blanket statement about 03 and never stated 08 has some really strange issues no matter which specific version which left one wondering whether your statement was correct or not which it isn't true of the x86 versions.

• 1 year later...

Archived