How to know what to expect?

studeggle

I currently only host steam games and since I play them I have a good understanding of bandwidth, memory, cpu usage with the different ones.

I am considering starting to host some of the other games out there but am faced with the delima of how to determin the proper specs for a good machine and proper bandwidth allocations to avoid choke. Obviously I could set the machines up and just run free games servers on them and monitor what they use. But this is very time consuming and ineffective until the free servers really start getting used. Plus possibly having to change packages with the colo company, upgrade the machine, and or have to reformat a machine before using it for money making opportunities.

So I was wondering if anyone here knew of some good sites that have listings of average and max resources for different games that I could use for a better starting point on which types of new games to start hosting.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks :smile:

I cant show you any stats, but i can tell you that, for example Call of Duty 1 and 2 use less memory, cpu time and bandwidth than steam games, like cs:source etc, battlefield2 use's more memory, cpu time and bandwidth. I run 64bit xeon cpu's with 3gb memory, each machine can easily run 10 cod/cod2 servers, monthly bandwidth used is around 250gb per machine. sorry i cant be of more help

I would suggest going with Dual CPU machines at least.

I would also suggest starting with the more popular games like Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2.

My suggestion would be to steer clear of Battlefield 2. It's a resource and bandwidth pig.

If you are co-loing and need a bandwidth estimate per machine, I would say 1500gb will safely support most games out there with the exception of BF2.

If you are co-loing and need a bandwidth estimate per machine, I would say 1500gb will safely support most games out there with the exception of BF2.

Unforunately, colo is becoming more and more (like it wasn't before, hah), 95th percentile... So it becomes harder and harder to compare to 1500gb/2000gb servers because they are different measurements totally:\

But 300gb != 1mbps... what if you peak? I know when I upload game files to ECF, I hit 70+mbps from our Dallas cabinet. Our graphs get ugly (depending on how long I upload), and our 95th like to stay up high for atleast 24 hours. Enough bursting and you will pay for more than 1mbps, but you will have only 200gb transfered.... One is a speed rating, one is an amount rating... You can't truely convert one to the other.

Archived