New to Windows Servers

DanCF

Okay I am still fairly new immigrant from Linux to Windows, and my servers aren't doing all to well since the switch.

First of all, I am running 2x 3.0Ghz Xeons with 2GB RAM and Windows Server 2003 through Steadfast Networks. I am only running about 75 slots on this machine, so the machine is easily capable and the network is fine; pings whould be <100 for continental connections.

The thing i notice is that the game servers are much less stable on Windows. In particular, I have a 32 slot DoD server, which crashes about every 48 hours, in which it becomes unresponsive, and CPU for the logical CPU spikes up to 100%. This causes pings on all the other game servers to shoot up to 300+ even though they should be on other logical CPUs.

How do you guys handle this? Are there things which I am missing? With linux, I was able to run servers for months without a reboot, is there a different protocol for windows servers?

Regardless of why the server is crashing (which most times its some mod doing it), you can set the game monitor in TCAdmin to restart and or stop the server in the Game Server Monitor Plugin within TCAdmin.

I believe amxmodx is being used. What are your thoughts on how often Windows servers have to be restarted?

We try to reboot atleast once a week. Since we run MOHAA, we have to do this or rcon will become inoperative on machines. It is just a thing you have to see for yourself sometimes.

We have a restart script poted over in the scripts forums Dan. I know some of our bigger HL based hosters use it.

Basically create a schedule task which fires the script. It then goes out and restarts all games of that type for you.

It sounds to me like the problem may have to do with AMXX or one of it's plugins if the server is going down that often.

I would suggest setting the game monitor as I posted above though. And check your server logs to see if you can track down what is causing the issue.

Archived