Ghost Recon 3

warp3

Anyone managed to get a Ghost Recon 3 (GR:AW) server up and running on a remote server?

On a test machine locally at the office no problem.. it runs fine (as long as there is a 3D vga card in the system).

But on a remote server (win 2003 std) it fails to start through terminal services (i.e. remote desktop).

The even viewer reveils: Faulting application graw.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module graw.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000afd11.

GR games need a higher end vid card than is what in most servers.

There is talk of a dedicated server coming with the next patch. I wouldn't waste too much time on trying to rent servers for it yet. Wait and see if they put out some dedicated server files for it.

It does need at least a reasonable 3D card. Most servers we have have only the onboard card (as std with supermicro's, i believe ati rage cards).

The server that we hope has a good enough card has an agp S3 Virge/DX and while installing DirectX9c it didn't complain also.

(and I would expect some kind of error message comming from GR saying the VGA card isn't up to specs). When executing the .exe from the command line it simple does not do *anything* except leaving a line in the event viewer with the above error.

Although we have copied the disk to an image file mounted with daemon tools, this should not matter (works on the test server, although that has an Gefore4 4800-TI).

I saw the same thing on our servers. The exe simply would not run.

In it's current form it is not hostable for comercial purposes. It would require you to login and run the GUI, configure things etc.. on the server desktop.

As stated above, I would wait for the dedicated server files, if they come.... :shock:

It would require you to login and run the GUI, configure things etc.. on the server desktop.

Even worse.. *LOCALLY*..

And I am *not* going to drive to the DC to start the damn thing. I doubt there are possible clients that wish to pay 500 euro's per month for a single game-server.. then we might reconsider :smile:

You should be able to login as console and start it, provided you have a proper vid card?

Might be worth a shot if you own the game and want to play a bit of MP action. But to host for clients, it is simply too much. I really hope they release a dedicated server for it. The trailers look nice and I am looking forward to playing it online.

I did hear that I requires quite a bit to run it though. So my mid range system might simple laugh at me when I try to load it :lol:

We did log on using the /console .. but nothing.

And yes... you need a beafy machine. Our test server is an AMD XP 2600+ and when running it takes 60% cpu time with 0 players connected pfffff.

:shock:

I will assume when and if they put out a dedicated server for this, it will use less. However, with the new physics processing I am not sure. Maybe it will be a beast?

My poor P4 2.4 probably will have a heart attack if I loaded it up on it...

Exactly the same here. When physicly logged on, the game starts nicely when graw.exe is executed.

If the session is taken over to RDP, graw.exe simply crashes when executing.

No point in having the game on a remote server, there seems no way to start it untill a real ded. server version is released. (knowing UBI, this might take a while.. :drag: ....)

Small update.. was able to start the server through a remote VNC connection.

Offcourse HORIBLE slow to finally get to the 'Launch Server' button (you get all the ^%$**% fancy gfx through VNC's slow interface) but it works :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived