Optimize Centos for gamehosting

qutip

What kind of optimization would help for better performance in cod2/cod4/css servers hosted on Centos 5.7 x86_64

Do you know any "tricks"?

Server config is:

Xeon 3460

12 GB ddr3 ECC ram

2x500 GB WD black

100 mbit uplink

EDIT: Gameservers will be for personal use..but I want they work perfectly

Well you have a couple of options. And please do not take what i say personally.

1. Use linux and hire someone to help you.

2. Use windows.

We see a lot of people using linux due to the fact it is free. However they do not have the skillset to run linux properly.

I understand that a free OS saves money. But if you cannot effectively administrate it then your gameservers may suffer.

Best of luck to you :)

Just for example.. If you set up cod2 gameserver with 24+ slots.. it will lagg.. If you set up on windows... it wont lagg.. You need to tweak kernel or sometinh for smooth perfomance, and no lagging...

You'll have to examine why it's lagging. If CPU is pegged on the process, then there isn't enough CPU for 24 slots. If CPU is fine, but it's lag, then it's context switching. You could also be running into what is called delayed process lag, which is when a process can't keep up with it's timeslices and burps along.

The windows timeslice quantum is pretty crappy, but it's alot better on Windows 2008.

• 11 months later...

CentOS is also a very bloated OS. I use Ubuntu with SSD drives on Xeon E3-1230v2 and never any lag even with the server maxed out at almost all 32GB RAM. Few Kernel adjustments along with a bit of MySQL tweaking and it runs better then Windows hands down.

Edit: wow just noticed last post date, sorry for the necro

Archived