Going big!

cmdbash

So, our company has tested the water, got our feet wet and we are going to take the plunge and invest deep.

I have been messing around with server builds, firewalls, and monitoring software. We have what we feel is a comfortable setup, but my only remaining factor that still has me a bit perplexed is obviously server hardware.

We want to host 20-25 servers per box, it will range from CS 1.6, a couple MineCraft Servers, and TF2 servers. So mostly GoldSrc and Source engine games. I was wondering if the specs below that I have are enough to do what I want.

PowerEdge R410 Chassis w/ up to 4 Hot-Plug Hard Drives,LCD diagnostics

Intel Xeon E5630 2.53Ghz, 12M Cache,Turbo, HT, 1066MHz Max Mem

16GB Memory (2x8GB), 1333MHz Dual Rank LV RDIMMs 1 Processor, Mirrored (Not enough?)

Windows Server 2008R2

PERC S300 3Gb/s SAS/SATA Internal Software RAID Adapter, Hot Plug Configuration

RAID 10 for PERC S300 Controller, 4HDDs (Too slow?)

4x500GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive (Too slow, to much?)

Power Supply, Non-Redundant, 480W

Intel PRO 1000PT 1GbE Single Port NIC, PCIe-1

I agree with John's recommendation. However the E3-1270's are very costly if you try to go above 16GB of memory. With the E5630, you could go up to 32gb of memory for a few hundred bucks, because you can use Registered memory.

However, the E3-1270 requires Unbuffered memory, which can cost as much as $120 per 8gb stick, sometimes more, especially if it will be a Dell.

I agree with John's recommendation. However the E3-1270's are very costly if you try to go above 16GB of memory. With the E5630, you could go up to 32gb of memory for a few hundred bucks, because you can use Registered memory.

However, the E3-1270 requires Unbuffered memory, which can cost as much as $120 per 8gb stick, sometimes more, especially if it will be a Dell.

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with the current processor so I can expand RAM later on if I need to for some reason. I'm just going to get fast Hard Drives in a RAID1 and a better Controller.

So after the input you guys have given me I have put together a final draft of what I feel we should buy. I don't intend on selling many MineCraft servers, mostly 1-2 personal ones.

PowerEdge R410 Chassis w/ up to 4 Hot-Plug Hard Drives,LCD diagnostics

Intel Xeon E5620 2.4Ghz, 12M Cache,Turbo, HT, 1066MHz Max Mem

16GB Memory (2x8GB), 1333MHz Dual Rank LV RDIMMs 1 Processor, Advanced ECC

Windows Server 2008R2

SAS 6/iR SAS internal RAID adapter for Hot Plug Configuration, PCI-Express

RAID 1 for PERC/SAS 6ir, PERC H200/H700 Controllers

2x 600GB 15K RPM SAS 6Gbps 3.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive

Power Supply, Non-Redundant, 480W

Intel PRO 1000PT 1GbE Single Port NIC, PCIe-1

If you have any further suggestions please let me know, and as always thank you for your suggestions and input.

It sound maybe stupid, but if your purchasing this server.

Why are you not using a redundant power supply and only using 1 processor.

If the power supply fails your server is offline.

If you are using 1 processor a Poweredge R310 is probably cheaper.

Strangely enough, the price of a comparable Powered 310 is slightly more for somewhat lesser hardware. It would be mind-blowing if it wasn't Dell.

I've never have had a Power supply fail but I will take it into deep consideration.

Archived