[IMPORTANT] Steam CMD

We're going to have to add Steam CMD.

Hi all,

The new Steam console client will be replacing the existing HldsUpdateTool. Games will move to the new client as we migrate them to the new HTTP (Steam Pipe) download system.

Regarding the login - we may add an "anonymous" login mode in the future, but that's not certain yet. Right now, it is of course necessary because the CS:GO server is an access-controlled product.

Regards,

Taylor

got that earlier also....Don't really understand the need for it.....But I imagine it has something to do with 'cloud' and getting rid of the constant complaints against the current systems laggy update servers.

The problem I am having with adding steamcmd support is that it does not allow multiple instances running at the same time. You can't update more than 1 service at the same time. Your clients will not like that.

what if you add a veribal to rename steamcmd then it should work, not sure about the login though, think you can only be logged in once.

what i have been doing for cs:go is when a new update comes out either rar the whole game up removing the server.cfg and other configs and adding it in as a update patch, or i just find the updated files and make that a patch as well.

what i have been doing for cs:go is when a new update comes out either rar the whole game up removing the server.cfg and other configs and adding it in as a update patch, or i just find the updated files and make that a patch as well.

We are doing the same for CS:GO, but if we have to do this for all Steam games in the future, this will give us some extra work load.

maybe increasing the slot prices :)

what if you add a veribal to rename steamcmd then it should work, not sure about the login though, think you can only be logged in once.

Renaming the exe, running from a different folder and even from a different user's session always fails.

Batch steam updates will be the way to go. Update the base game files, create a zip with the files that were updated, apply the update to all servers. I will add a game tool that does this.

Renaming the exe, running from a different folder and even from a different user's session always fails.

Batch steam updates will be the way to go. Update the base game files, create a zip with the files that were updated, apply the update to all servers. I will add a game tool that does this.

Prefer this way anywho, so no skin off my back!! Looking forward to the tool! lol

• 2 weeks later...

You can already do this in v1 with the update file generator. Create a .bat that updates your game. Run the update generator and execute the .bat. It will create the zip with the updated files.

• 5 weeks later...

Killing Floor also moved yesterday to the SteamCMD tool.

This will give us more workload to get the updated files available to our clients.

A new update is out and 2 minutes later we get the first support ticket, asking when the update will be available :(

More info was on the mailinglist:

There is some mis-understanding of the new steamcmd update tool happening here, let me just clear things up:

- steamcmd is used for updating of dedicated servers using the new Steam Pipe content system, newly released games on Steam use this system and older games are being switched over.

- currently steamcmd requires a steam login to perform an update, we plan on adding a no-login mode in the future for free to download titles.

- the login you use for steamcmd just needs rights to the game you are updating, so for the majority of dedicated server applications you CAN use a free account. So you could currently make an account per machine you wish to run the tool on. You do NOT need to buy the full game client to update if the dedicated server is free.

- CS:GO is a special case because it is in closed beta, access to its dedicated server is limited to blessed accounts which is why you need a special login. If you are having problems running CS:GO servers and are in the beta email the team and ask for access to another account for your dedicated servers.

With Steam Pipe you should see an improvement in download speeds and more robust response during high demand. It uses HTTP as the content delivery method, so you could setup a local HTTP proxy to cache all steamcmd requests, making updates from multiple machines stay on your local network.

I believe also if you turn steam guard off on your account, you can use it from multiple locations without being knocked offline.

This isn't the best route to go, but it is available for the time being to help.....Just sayin :p

-Adam